Notice any throttling?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by jimmyco2008, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

Verizon's website implies 4G devices are exempt from 3G throttling... Just seeing if this is true, I'm seeing 1X like speeds on 3G, so I'm a bit concerned :/ data usage is about 3GB so far this month.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  2. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 New Member

I just posted about this in the general Droid news forum. My question was would we thunderbolt owners be throttled if we are in a 3g only area? BTW, I also have the $30 unlimited tethering plan.
  3. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

Oh alright thanks

4. DroidXCBR

DroidXCBR New Member

I used 23gb last month up to 7 this month still fast and I live in a 3g but work in 4g I haven't noticed a diffrence.

5. Blacksheep427

Blacksheep427 New Member

similar circumstance

I, too, have been wondering about this. I find myself in a similar situation, mostly 3G, unlimited phone and hotspot, but throw in some 1X a well. The 1X area is due to go 4G this month if on schedule. I used about 5.5 GB combined last month, have noticed down/up data rates being extremely slow on 3G. I have yet to notice some common denominator at those slow times. N/A on current use tally.
  6. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

Throttling is not to be worried about by most people.

It is unlikely you are in the top percentile of data hogs.

You are not a data hog if you simply use your device a lot. If you download movies all day long every day then maybe.....
  7. foxdroid

foxdroid New Member

I noticed that in a high congestion area with 4G, my speeds on 3G there are HORRID. But, when traveling, I go out in the country in Nevada, and guess what? 3G is nearly as fast as 4G out there. When I'm forced to use 3G here it's painfully slow (worse than AOL dialup back in the day)...
  8. porsche996

porsche996 New Member

Verizon says on their webpage that the "upper 5%" that will be throttled are people using >2Gb/month. Sorry, but 2 GB is hit in a freaking hurry, even without downloading movies... My wife uses about 3 GB each month on her OG Droid, and all she goes to regularly is a messageboard and facebook...

I don't think Verizon is going to throttle just the "upper 5%". I think they're going to throttle anybody over their basic tier level for data, 2Gb, regardless of what the true upper 5% limit is, as after 2GB, they aren't making more money off that user anymore. They want people to switch to their tiered plan and drop unlimited...this is the way to try to convince unlimited users to pay more money and not be concerned with speed anymore.
  9. SilentO

SilentO New Member

I have the HTC Thunderbolt with 4G LTE. I have noticed a huge drop in my speed. Before the gingerbread update, i was getting 14-20MB/s but now with the updated gingerbread, i'm barely getting 7MB. Anyone?
  10. slinky

slinky New Member

Is Gingerbread officially out? I haven't received the download yet... I guess it is but I haven't updated yet. Crazy is that a Skype hack by some developer allowed the FFC to work 6 months ago.
  11. rbw62

rbw62 New Member

Same here, and I do not use much data, I have wifi comcast@ over 21 down and 7_12 up.

12. jr57

jr57 New Member

o yeah they throttle

i use 6gb last month, when i'm in 4g in a heavy trafficed area it's a tad slow but that is expected. But when i'm in 3g in the same area i here "verizon wireless" like 5 times in a row then go check and relize i'm gettin 1g speeds... i think they are telling me when thy're throttling me... anybody else notice...im in the D.C. area by the way
  13. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

After further observation, I go to 1x alomost every day, particularly if I'm tethering for a long period of time... mind you I do not stream Netflix or anything these days, I'm working on setting up repeaters around my house so xfinity can make it to the whole house... anyways with light streaming I notice an eventual demotion to 1x
    ... Of course sometimes I get that data icon disappears thing too where I lose my data connection altogether or it switches from 3G to 1x and eventually back again... I never had problems on Vegas' 4G, so hopefully for us thunderbolt owners this problem will end sooner rather than later...

14. DroidXCBR

DroidXCBR New Member

15. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

Wow Verizon is losing it ... they're turning into AT&$hit ... Well when I get 4G I just might overshoot 120GB if not to just see what will happen, perhaps the space time continuum will rip?

16. afrchutch

afrchutch New Member

I don't understand how people use more than 5-7gb per month. I'm ALWAYS using 3/4G and I'm barely hitting 3gb a month. What the heck are you all doing haha? In response to the post my 3G speeds have significantly slowed down as well. I'm not sure if its where I live or just the traffic. I ran a speed test on my tbolt the other day and was only doing 1.3mbps. On 4G it was about 12-14mbps.

17. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Alexandria (just outside of DC) here for work, LTE all day. I've never been throttled that I know of, then again I've only used over 3GB/month once, other than that it's at or just above/below 2GB/month. I don't "hear 'verizon wireless'" either... would they actually tell you that you're being throttled in an audible way??
  18. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

I don't think they would... since its not technically throttling, its what they call "network optimization", they avoid the law, if any, that requires notification.... As a reminder, Verizon says we get throttled only in high congestion areas... so regardless of monthly usage, if you live in a small city or the middle of nowhere, you're not experiencing throttling er I mean network optimization.... but perhaps Verizon is working out kinks with eHRPD, the system that regulates 3G-4G handoffs.... Either way, I'm getting sick of losing my data connection when I'm using it, tethering or not.

19. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

I've used 130gb over a weekend in April and have never been throttled. I guess it depends on your location and traffic congestion.
  20. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

130GB? I don't think that's possible if 12Mbps * 60 * 60 * 48 > 130GB, of course there's Gigabytes (GB) and gigabits (Gb). Kilobits and megabits are used for internet connections speeds, misleading as hell.. I don't know the exact conversion from B to b, but 1MB is approximately 10Mb...

Anyway, this is way late, but what phone do you have that Verizon Wireless is audible like that?
Search tags for this page

4g lte throttled