Nothing but confused now

Status
Not open for further replies.

macisme

Reaction score
OK I got my Droid 2 with 2.2 just yesterday. The reason why I got this phone was for the reason of being able to use the wifi hotspot with my phones 3g. I didn't want to have to use the teathering cord, since I did that with my Omnia. It was decent to say the least, but I always had to have my cord with me or I was out of luck. With this wifi hotspot option I fell in love immediately. However now I am being told that I must purchase an additional package on top of my unlimited usage package. That just doesn't settle well with me at all.

After doing some reading on here for the last couple of hours I have managed to do one thing, and that is to confuse myself on what exactly is needed to accomplish wifi hotspot without having to add the extra package through verizon. I see people saying root this, and do this, or do that. There are a couple of different ways to do one thing or another. Download this, noooo, download that.. I am really confused now lol.. Someone please just tell me on here what EXACTLY I am looking for here.

I just want to use my phone and its 3g connection like a wireless router for any pc, or ipod etc. without having to buy the lame 2gig package on top of my unlimited data plan.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Also I seen some files suggested that were named for older versions of the Droid 2. Does this mean that they won't work for the 2.2? This is another thing that had me confused.

pool_shark

Reaction score
1. Had you done your research you would have known prior to purchasing the phone that a separate plan was needed in order to use the hotspot feature.

2. There are numerous methods to root your device. Which one is best is up to the user. Find one that you are comfortable with, root your device, and download a tether app from the market and off you go.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Last edited:

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
I have used PDAnet to tether my laptop, netbook, and desktop. PDAnet does not require rooting. It works on 2.2 without any problems. It allows you to tether via USB or Bluetooth. I've not ever tried BT, as the cable is not an issue for me and I expect BT would be slow. But then I'm only using PDAnet as a backup if my DSL is having an issue or if I'm traveling. I don't use it as a primary method of getting my PCs on the internet. You can try it before you buy it.
Good luck,
Andrew
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
M

macisme

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and unwanted sarcasm. I got it taken care of. Thanks for replying though. Next time I have trouble I'll just title the thread, please come in here and throw my mistakes in my face.

Jayfunk13

Reaction score
I don't think you know what sarcasm means

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

pool_shark

Reaction score
I have trouble I'll just title the thread, please come in here and throw my mistakes in my face.

No need to do that, if I see it I'll do it anyway. But thanks for being so thoughtful and inviting.

OP
M

macisme

Reaction score
I don't think you know what sarcasm means

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Actually I do. It is more then just used for an ironic taunt. It is also used when talking about a rude,bitter or harsh comment.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
This conversation is finished! Respect is the number one rule on this Forum. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.