Not-so-hi-def?

Bengal21

Reaction score
does anyone else feel like the video in their x is garbage? Mine is horribly grainy and terrible. Did I get a bad camera in mine or did motorola fib a little? This certainly isn't even close to 720p. Anyone?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Works like a charm here on mine....

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
does anyone else feel like the video in their x is garbage? Mine is horribly grainy and terrible. Did I get a bad camera in mine or did motorola fib a little? This certainly isn't even close to 720p. Anyone?

Grainy is usually a lighting issue. 720P is the phone abilty to record and play something not a measure of how well it records it on there.

Side note: Most people here expect WAY too much from a 1/4 inch piece of glass IMO. I would not consider the photos or video of any phone made "good" compared to my DSLR camera or even my $250 HD camcorder.

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
Best cam on a phone that ive had.....and ive had the incredible so id say its a good 1.

Viper323

Reaction score

Grainy is usually a lighting issue. 720P is the phone abilty to record and play something not a measure of how well it records it on there.

Side note: Most people here expect WAY too much from a 1/4 inch piece of glass IMO. I would not consider the photos or video of any phone made "good" compared to my DSLR camera or even my $250 HD camcorder.

Agreed. I always cringe when I hear people saying "Well this one has more megapixels so it must be better quality!"
Basically more megapixels = LARGER image, NOT a better quality image!

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Agreed. I always cringe when I hear people saying "Well this one has more megapixels so it must be better quality!"

Yep! I have a near 15 year old Kodak DC260 that takes 1.6 MP pictures and it still matches, in quality, most any photo taken with a cell phone.

I think I paid over $800 for this bad boy back in the day.
9812a.jpg

Chillson

Reaction score
Not sure which settings and such you are using, but the default setting on the camera and camcorder aren't on the highest resolution by default.

Elkay

Reaction score
Haha I had a DC290.. paid $$$$ for that thing, but man did it take good pics.

OP
B

Bengal21

Reaction score
Ok so I turned it up to hi-def and now it looks great. I feel dumb, but thanks for the help.

jodyberry

Reaction score
As a cameraman that uses a true $40,000 hi-def camera, I CRINGE when I hear the acronym "HD" thrown around like it's all the same!!

I guess that's where marketing comes in! They make it sound like you'll get professional quality because you now have HD!!

I spend half my life educating my friends on what it REALLY means!

iHad a G1

Reaction score
While there are camps of people who expect their 8 mp sensor on their phones to match that of a point and shoot, there are the rest of the people who simply expect their phones to match up to the hype set forth by the company putting it out there.

I always laugh when I see that "Screen images simulated" on commercials, just show us what the thing really looks like so I can make an informed decision!

Finally, when on vacation to scotland, my wife broke my camera. It was a sony that ran me $400 when I got it. The Droid X matches it in clarity, color trueness and MP, so when a picture is being edited in photoshop, I can get it really close before the picture succumbing to pixilation. The video camera, although not perfect, allowed me to take a 2 minute long video of my niece's first steps, email it to my wife and making her year. While no one really cares about your $40,000 or $250 "True HD" video cameras or your expensive DSLR's, we are extremely satisfied with the camera our cell phone came with.

Oh, and cringe some more, the output from the Droid X is 720p, which I far as I know is HD. No need to strap on your big boy boots and come in here and attempt to make people feel inadeqaute.

/rant

I'm glad you figured out your problem OP!

jodyberry

Reaction score
Oh, and cringe some more, the output from the Droid X is 720p, which I far as I know is HD. No need to strap on your big boy boots and come in here and attempt to make people feel inadeqaute.
!

WOW!! I guess you took my post the wrong way! I wasn't boasting or showing off - just saying to not listen to the hype and make your own informed decisions.

I have shot many videos and stills with my Droid and under good conditions, it looked great!

And yes, I know the Droid X is 720p - but using a lens and sensor the size of a BB.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

No need to fell inadequate just know your limitations as you have almost ZERO aperture (the ability to let light in) with a cell phone. Also if you use even the cheapest 3 CCD HD camcorder you will find your "HD" recordings from your phone laughable.

OTOH: Do I use the Droid for quick and easy Point and Shoot? Of course!

TheCheeks

Reaction score
I spend half my life educating my friends on what it REALLY means!
I wouldn't even bother. That's like trying to tell people they shouldn't have to spend $80 on an HDMI cable. It's an uphill battle, you won't save them all haha.

iHad a G1: Jesus dude, wake up on the wrong side of the bed? There is a time and a place for cellphone vids and professional vids. Of coarse it'll work fine filming your baby, but it's no match for a real pro camera either. The right tool for the right job.

car guy

Reaction score

Yep! I have a near 15 year old Kodak DC260 that takes 1.6 MP pictures and it still matches, in quality, most any photo taken with a cell phone.

I think I paid over $800 for this bad boy back in the day.
9812a.jpg

I work at Ohio University and was just over at a warehouse where they keep extra stuff. I just looked at a camera just like this, maybe identical and wondered how old it was