Not receiving text messages in ginger with ud

bodean

Reaction score
I believe I solved the problem on my phone for missing text message notifications. It bugged me that My handcent notifications were not working and I'd just have a unread text message just sitting in my inbox, not knowing i received one. I even contemplated on going back to 3.1 or even Froyo 2.5 but Im still on U.D. 3.3.1 so maybe I can help ya'll out on this..

First, I used a terminal command to set the memory management parameters back to stock Froyo.

This is the proper command:
su
echo "2048,3072,6144,7168,8192,8192" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

As seen as here, posted by GirLuvsDroid, Post #1007::
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/pr...lite-v5-gingerbread-aosp-101.html#post1374180

Second, I had auto killer.. and then I installed Advanced Task Cleaner from the Market.. I deleted auto killer because I didnt need it on my phone but thats optional to you but I figured it would still kill the Handcent app. What Advanced Task Cleaner allows you to do is ignore an app from being killed. So I long pressed on Handcent SMS, and chose to ignore this, as well as messaging and messaging widget [Yes, I know we can lock messaging into memory] So while advanced task cleaner is killing all other apps from running in the background, it avoids handcent SMS and messaging from being killed.

Third, I did set my minimum overclocking to 400 but 250 works too, seeing I just checked it right now and its on 250 and all my messages are working.
Also, Settings>Ultimate Droid>Performance>Check "Allow Purging Of Assets"..

Lastly, Unfortunately, I did have to start over with Handcent. If you restored Data to Handcent using TB, it probably won't work, but you can try. However, I uninstalled using TB, and reinstalled Handcent from the Market and started from scratch..

I rebooted into recovery because I WAS about to flash 2.5 cuz it didnt work, but I thought, "Mind as well make a backup while Im here" so I did that, rebooted into Android cuz I was waiting on an important text, and Voila! Everything worked again. Notifications came in and there was no need to flash another rom.

;]

Is that memory command needed / recommended on Droid 1?

Not necessarily. If youre running Froyo, you don't need to use these commands. The command was only useful to be less aggressive, like Froyo, if were running any Gingerbread rom on the D1, due to aggressive task killing that comes with the GB.

I dont have a 02vm file to edit, to keep these setting permanent. Odd

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
Is that memory command needed / recommended on Droid 1?

Not necessarily. If youre running Froyo, you don't need to use these commands. The command was only useful to be less aggressive, like Froyo, if were running any Gingerbread rom on the D1, due to aggressive task killing that comes with the GB.

I dont have a 02vm file to edit, to keep these setting permanent. Odd

Do you have Auto Killer installed on your phone? When I put in the command, it's suppose to change your auto killer settings.

gimpyestrada

Reaction score
AutoKiller Memory is an app that will perform the same operation as the command line. If you can place the command line somewhere to get it to auto start on reboot, then you don't need the app.

OR you can use the app and ignore the command line.

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
I dont know.. That's really a personal decision.. Gingerbread ROMS generally have an app/task killer included, so theres no need to download one, but it's so aggressive that it kinda slows down the original droid.. In my case, I only downloaded task cleaner to prevent Handcent from being killed and killing other apps every minute or so. Saves battery for me, definitely. I should post my battery life..

gimpyestrada

Reaction score
Autokiller memory eh? Was told never to use any type of TASK KILLERS on android.

The app allows you to tweak the settings of Android's internal app killer to more effectively manage application and system memory. And yes Android has its own app killer.

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Just an fyi, both UD 3.3.0 & 3.3.1 (& i think further back than that) come stock with the minfree values already at those listed in posts/replies #14-16, in mb comes out to 8-12-24-28-32-32, just goes to show that BD was & has been ahead of the rest.

gimpyestrada

Reaction score
Just an fyi, both UD 3.3.0 & 3.3.1 (& i think further back than that) come stock with the minfree values already at those listed in posts/replies #14-16, in mb comes out to 8-12-24-28-32-32, just goes to show that BD was & has been ahead of the rest.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that yet.

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
It should also probably be mentioned that the default android gingerbread os minfree settings are: 8-12-16-24-28-32