not impressed with maxx battery life - normal for me?

lgbalfa

Reaction score
i know that battery life depends on usage but after a few days of owning the phone i have not been impressed.

example of average use - 12 hours of heavy use (internet browsing, viber active, AIM active, e-mails being pushed, one hour phone call, texting, wifi on 50% of the time, etc..) and my battery is already at 15%.

i know that i can change my setting for the emails to be received, not use wifi as much, not have viber running in the background all day, etc.. but i expected something much more significant than 12 hours.

i don't watch videos or play games at all.

sometimes i make 30 minute viber calls so i am sure that drains the battery somewhat but based on my usage i don't think 12 hours is a lot for this phone, do you?

thanks

TatDroid

Reaction score
How much screen time? 12 hours of up time is not good if you only have 2 or 3 hours of screen time. On the other hand, 12 hours of up time with 6 or 8 hours of screen time would be pretty awesome in my book. Don't know of another phone that would do that.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Also be sure to read battery threads in the Maxx forum. Multiple reports of Jelly Bean having negative impact on battery life, and ways to try to improve it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
i know that battery life depends on usage but after a few days of owning the phone i have not been impressed.

example of average use - 12 hours of heavy use (internet browsing, viber active, AIM active, e-mails being pushed, one hour phone call, texting, wifi on 50% of the time, etc..) and my battery is already at 15%.

i know that i can change my setting for the emails to be received, not use wifi as much, not have viber running in the background all day, etc.. but i expected something much more significant than 12 hours.

i don't watch videos or play games at all.

sometimes i make 30 minute viber calls so i am sure that drains the battery somewhat but based on my usage i don't think 12 hours is a lot for this phone, do you?

thanks
WiFi running when you don't have access to a WiFi network will drain your battery. The phone will continue to search for a WiFi network that it can login to until you turn it off (WiFi that is), otherwise WiFi, if you're connected, normally uses less battery than 3g/4g connection. I'm curious, did own a smartphone prior to the Maxx HD running the same apps and using the phone in the same manner with better results?

OP
lgbalfa

lgbalfa

Reaction score
my previous phone was an HTC incredible 2. the new razr HD maxx is significantly better.

i have always judged battery life from the time it is charged 100% to the time when you need to re-charge it, never thought or looked into screen time.

with that said, my screen time is:

battery: 13 hrs, 37 min
time on: 5 hrs, 27 min

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There's other things to take into consideration for battery life... What's your service like? If you have 4g but it's weak.. That will kill your battery quickly too..

I can kill a maxx in about 8 hours if I wanted.. All because of my service.. And I don't mean 8 hours of hard use..

When I had the maxx HD, it was slightly better, due to its processor being more efficient and able to play better with the 4 g network...

Now as these people said, having wifi enabled when you're not using it, GPS, bluetooth.. Anything like that.. Will drain battery looking to establish a connection..

Another thing 4g powers both 3 and 4g radios.. So it's a natural battery hog..

Screen brightness and time on.. The biggest battery killer... The screen is everything on these devices...

Run away apps.. An app like gsam battery monitor has an app sucker feature.. It'll tell you if you have a run away app using up processor cycles and causing more awake time than needed.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
5 hrs 27 mins of screen on time is good..

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Im getting 3 to 5 hours screen time in a 1-2 bar lte area where itll drop to 3g if there is any obstruction like a couch. In a 5 bar lte area I'm getting upwards of 9 hours, so signal is a huge factor in battery life.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

OP
lgbalfa

lgbalfa

Reaction score
thanks.

i always judged the battery based not on screen time but by how long it lasts from 100% to until you charge the phone.

TatDroid

Reaction score
thanks.

i always judged the battery based not on screen time but by how long it lasts from 100% to until you charge the phone.

Yeah, screen time is the great equalizer. It really doesn't matter that much how long it's on (it'll probably go 48 hours on a charge with no screen time) it's how much you use it while it's on.

OP
lgbalfa

lgbalfa

Reaction score
current stats:

7%
18hrs, 45min
5 hours 15 min screen time
56% brightness

is this good?

OP
lgbalfa

lgbalfa

Reaction score
ok, last time i will post my stats.

maybe i am just a very heavy user.

15% left
9 hrs, 50 min.
brightness: 41%
screen time on: 5 hrs, 1 min.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
current stats:

7%
18hrs, 45min
5 hours 15 min screen time
56% brightness

is this good?

ok, last time i will post my stats.

maybe i am just a very heavy user.

15% left
9 hrs, 50 min.
brightness: 41%
screen time on: 5 hrs, 1 min.

Two very different results with comparable screen time, and y yet the shorter battery life is with the lower screen brightness, says something else is having greater influence on the overall battery life.

94LT1 and jpcalhoun brought up the fact that low WiFi & 4G signal levels can contribute to large battery consumption, and that them, along with Bluetooth running when there are no active connections in range will also waste power trying to search for a connection. Apps can also be a drain on the battery if they go rogue, or if they are sync'ing often.

One thing that can throw this all off-track is a meter that is out of calibration with the battery. It can report that the battery is low, even when it's still holding a considerable charge. Still, that doesn't account for a 50% difference in reported levels from one charge to the next. It might be time for an FDR, to just start fresh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
lgbalfa

lgbalfa

Reaction score
Two very different results with comparable screen time, and y yet the shorter battery life is with the lower screen brightness, says something else is having greater influence on the overall battery life.

94LT1 and jpcalhoun brought up the fact that low WiFi & 4G signal levels can contribute to large battery consumption, and that them, along with Bluetooth running when there are no active connections in range will also waste power trying to search for a connection. Apps can also be a drain on the battery if they go rogue, or if they are sync'ing often.

One thing that can throw this all off-track is a meter that is out of calibration with the battery. It can report that the battery is low, even when it's still holding a considerable charge. Still, that doesn't account for a 50% difference in reported levels from one charge to the next. It might be time for an FDR, to just start fresh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

what benefit would it be to do a FDR?

just curious how this will increase the battery life from my usage?

thanks for the thorough feedback.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
what benefit would it be to do a FDR?

just curious how this will increase the battery life from my usage?

thanks for the thorough feedback.
An FDR will take your phone back to the same state as it was when you opened the box...clean, no 3rd party apps, no settings (other than factory default settings) and no rogue apps. In other words, like FoxKat said, a clean, fresh start. Yeah, some think it is a pain in the posterior to do a FDR. I look at it this way, you have an expensive tool that might just need a fresh start to live up to your expectations...isn't it worth it to give it a shot. If you choose to do an FDR, don't enable WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth unless you are actively using one of those functions. Turn your display down to as low as it is comfortable for you indoors. Minimize the number of apps/widgets that sync data every minute or so. Facebook, when all options are enabled and continuously running, can put a pretty hefty load on your battery . Consider using gmail as your primary means of getting email. You can have other email account forward mail to gmail and gmail will "push" that mail to you, your phone doesn't have to do a thing. Don't install a task killer/manager. They usually cause more problems and battery drain than they are worth. When downloading 3rd party apps add them one or two at a time and monitor/see how your phone reacts. On of your 3rd party apps maybe the problem. Use WiFi when a WiFi connection is available, otherwise turn WiFi off (there are apps that will manage that for you). Always use the factory provided charger and USB cable to charge the phone. I recommend powering off the phone every day or two and let the phone fully charge using the items I mention. Motorola recommends this also. Just a few suggestions, hope they help.