Non-Sense

hortonj54

Reaction score
I was messing around with an app called lockbot or lock 2.0 yesterday, and somehow while the phone was "locked" I switched from Sense UI to pure android. At first I was baffled at how my phone did this while it was supposed to be locked, but then I figured out from the lockbot/lock 2.0 lock screen you can open up a wide variety of menus. I guess I managed to hit the secret code.

Anyway, I figured while I have Android running I would try it out. I really love it. The Eris seems to be much smoother on every app I try. Even the "call end" button seems to take faster. I love Sense UI, but I love the performance my phone has right now. And I managed to fit everything I "needed" onto the 3 provided screens.

I am going to continue testing the phone without Sense, but I was curious if anyone had any things to look out for that could help me determine wether or not I should return to sense.

Bigwidge

Reaction score
Re:

Is this true? If the Eris really is faster without Sense, I think I might just give it a shot, I mean I can always turn Sense back on, right? Sounds like something worth trying if you say it makes it seem faster.... can anyone else back him up on that? Thanks in advance

PS: a pic would be great

KinderwoodLabs2

Reaction score

diverbelow

Reaction score
How do you turn Sense off?

Settings, manage applications, find HTC sense click on it and and click clear defaults and now everytime you click the home screen you have the option to use HTC home or Android home
Cool! Probably a dumb question, but can you turn Sense back on the same way?

When you please the home button, you will be given a choice of home or HTC Sense (something like that).

addictedwayz

Reaction score
How do you turn Sense off?

Settings, manage applications, find HTC sense click on it and and click clear defaults and now everytime you click the home screen you have the option to use HTC home or Android home
Cool! Probably a dumb question, but can you turn Sense back on the same way?

If you set Android to default then yes u can turn sense back on the same way but if you don't set to default then just tap the home screen and it will give you the option to use HTC home or just home witch is Android home

Bigwidge

Reaction score
I downloaded an app called home switcher, it lets me pick beetween sense ui or vanilla android. I kinda like the android without sense, but i miss the big clock and some of the widgets. But I do like that with sense turned off, it lets me use the trackball to highlight and select apps on my home screen.

OP
H

hortonj54

Reaction score
After 2 days of Vanilla I have found I really don't miss much from sense. I still have the sense keyboard (although currently using Swype) all my contacts still have the Facebook pics and updates.

I do miss some of the widgets, but I have just downloaded a couple apps to replace.
Such as:
Battery Widget for HTC Battery Widget
WiFi Toggle for the HTC switches (I rarely used the BT and GPS switches)
Dial@bar to replace the phone button on the bottom of our screens. It's nice not having to exit out of the browser to go to a contact or the dialer, just pull down the notification bar!

Not having 7 screens is not a deal breaker, but 5 (like what comes with Android 2.1) would be nice. 3 is doing the job just fine for now.

All in all the gain in performance I am experiencing far outways the coolness of Sense for now.

Lets see what I am thinking in a couple weeks

refthemc

Reaction score
Theres an old app called "Advanced Launcher" that looks just likes the Vanilla home but you have the option to choose how many screens you want and other things as well. Here is the app if anyone wants to give it a try...

AdvancedLauncher.apk