No symbol on SD Card and Wireless Bars

cjones107

Reaction score
The last few weeks my phone has been randomly losing wireless connection. When this happens, it has a no symbol over the wireless indicator, as well as a no symbol over an sd card icon. You can see it here in the upper right corner of my screen cap.

PicsArt_1346088945839.jpg

A few things I've noticed about the behavior:
1. These symbols always occur together, never just one.
2. When they appear, I have no cellular service, but I can still access the SD card.
3. This doesn't happen during periods of no usage. (It's only happened during the day when I'm using my phone, but it's never happened after leaving it alone all night.)
4. The only way I've found to get service back is to restart the phone.
5. Oh yeah.... It started happening the day after I dropped it in a cuban screw. I thought it was drunk, but it's been a few weeks now.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That's not an icon for the SD card. That's an icon that means there's no SIM card in the phone. Since I'm sure you do have a SIM card in there when it happens, it appears that something is wrong with your SIM. If your SIM card is malfunctioning, your wireless connection will too (which is why they happen at the same time). Try removing your SIM card and then reinserting it to see if that helps. Sometimes the card can get positioned in such a way that it loses proper contact with the phone. If that doesn't work, I would go to Verizon and get a new SIM card.

OP
C

cjones107

Reaction score
Alright, well I removed and re-inserted the SIM card and I'm still having the issue. Although I did notice a strange mark on the card.

PicsArt_1346116914933.jpg

I didn't pay attention to the card when I inserted it the first time, so I don't know if that was always there. Could it be water damage?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Alright, well I removed and re-inserted the SIM card and I'm still having the issue. Although I did notice a strange mark on the card.

View attachment 55278

I didn't pay attention to the card when I inserted it the first time, so I don't know if that was always there. Could it be water damage?

I doubt it's water damage (but if you've gotten the phone wet recently, that could cause some issues). But a scratch or mark like that can definitely impact the ability of the SIM card to function properly. I would go into Verizon and get a new SIM card. That should take care of things.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I doubt it's water damage (but if you've gotten the phone wet recently, that could cause some issues). But a scratch or mark like that can definitely impact the ability of the SIM card to function properly. I would go into Verizon and get a new SIM card. That should take care of things.

+1 :)