sd card error

azure_andi

Reaction score
My phone froze a couple days ago so I restarted it and ever since, the sd card symbol won't get off the screen. It keeps saying checking card for errors and it won't let me get to my music because of it. How do I fix it?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling the battery? Reseating the card?

Also, turn it off, pull the card, and stick it into a PC and make sure it's OK.

If the card is corrupted, then you'll need to format it.

OP
A

azure_andi

Reaction score
i took out my battery and card and it still doesnt work. its like its not reading my card at all. i cant save picseither cause it says i need an sd card to save pics. i tried plugging my phone into the computer with the usb cable

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course it wont work with the USB connected. If the phone cant read the card, then it cant host to the PC -- again, pull the card and put it in a PC to see if it's readable. It sounds like your card is corrupt.

OP
A

azure_andi

Reaction score
I don't have a card reader. I guess ill have to get one.how does the card get corrupted in the first place? And how do I fix it if it is?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It can become corrupt in any number of ways, which is why the "mount/unmount" process is so important. If the card loses power while it's writing to the file structure, it can become corrupt -- it's the flash-drive equivalent of losing the MBR on a hard drive. The data is still there, most likely, but it's not accessible by the machine.

A format should fix it. There are probably ways to get the data back off of it before you format it, but I'm not going to walk you through that process right now.