No superuser permission after root?

BCool83

Reaction score
I rooted by DX today using z4root...have the Superuser skull/crossbones in the app drawer...but when I try to wirelessly tether, it says I'm not rooted. Any thoughts on how to actually grant myself SU permission?

Previous to trying z4root, I tried the "one-click" method popular on Google, as well as the ADB method...neither was successful.

"Not Root! Sorry, but root privileges are needed to run this application." error message rec'd using Wireless Tether For Root.

"Error. Unexpected error occured! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide." error message rec'd using Barnacle Wifi Tether.

I would try to unroot and re-root, but my z4root doesn't have the "unroot" button I've seen other posts mention...

Last edited:

maderschramm

Reaction score
I rooted by DX today using z4root...have the Superuser skull/crossbones in the app drawer...but when I try to wirelessly tether, it says I'm not rooted. Any thoughts on how to actually grant myself SU permission?

Previous to trying z4root, I tried the "one-click" method popular on Google, as well as the ADB method...neither was successful.

"Not Root! Sorry, but root privileges are needed to run this application." error message rec'd using Wireless Tether For Root.

"Error. Unexpected error occured! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide." error message rec'd using Barnacle Wifi Tether.

I would try to unroot and re-root, but my z4root doesn't have the "unroot" button I've seen other posts mention...

sounds to me like you're not rooted, that's all. the superuser permissions is just a third party application, so it will be able to install regardless of root status

you could try a different app that requires root to confirm. try titanium backup (free) or root explorer or astro file manager (free)

OP
BCool83

BCool83

Reaction score
How does Astro require root? One of the root instructions I found said to install Astro before rooting! Either way, I DL'd Astro and got into it fine. Ti Backup, however, did not work.

So now I'm trying to re-root with z4root (I still haven't unrooted it, just running the program again), and it's taking forever in the "Running exploit..." step...

maderschramm

Reaction score
Astro can browse secured directories in your phone. Those that require root access. I've nicer used z4root, id recommend using the droid 2 adb tools method

OP
BCool83

BCool83

Reaction score
Eureka...turns out you shouldn't have your phone connected through PDAnet and be surfing the 'net on your computer while trying to root it with z4root.

druski24

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Tried rooting several times and even though it says I'm rooted when finished, I can't run any apps that require root. I am showing the superuser icon in app drawer. z4root app also only showing "temp root" and "perm root". "Unroot" is NOT showing. Any tips?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Tried rooting several times and even though it says I'm rooted when finished, I can't run any apps that require root. I am showing the superuser icon in app drawer. z4root app also only showing "temp root" and "perm root". "Unroot" is NOT showing. Any tips?

Did you reboot after selecting "temp root?" If so you will not be rooted. "Temp root" only works

until the next time you start up your phone. This is why I selected "perm root."

So if you are not rooted it wont show "unroot" in the z4root app. Do you have "unknown sources"

selected in settings/application's?

Last edited:

druski24

Reaction score
Did you reboot after selecting "temp root?" If so you will not be rooted. "Temp root" only works

until the next time you start up your phone. This is why I selected "perm root."

So if you are not rooted it wont show "unroot" in the z4root app. Do you have "unknown sources"

selected in settings/application's?

Just did perm root again to be sure. Waited a while. Phone was super laggy when finished. Pulled battery. Opened z4root app and still showing only "temp root" and "perm root". Also just noticed a few apps won't open now stating "app currently not installed..."

Very odd. I was under the impression z4root would work with droid X. Now it seems the program removed some of my other apps.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Are you sure you checked usb debugging as well as unkown sources in the applications menu?

Sent from my DROIDX

druski24

Reaction score
Check and check. Just read where another user said this in another forum:
" Two battery pulls, multiple taps from Temporary Root to Permanent Root back and forth, a reboot on its own(with a battery pull), and patience worked for me. Just did it. Thanks."

WTF? I hope this isn't me. Now I'm thinking, why the hell did I do this? And the superuser icon is stuck. Awesome.
I haven't been able to find any satisfactory responses anywhere on the net. It seems other users are having the same issue.

druski24

Reaction score
Finally worked, had doit over and over until it finally rooted. Very confusing for a noob rooter.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Finally worked, had doit over and over until it finally rooted. Very confusing for a noob rooter.

Good to hear it. Mine went first time. But I've heard from others it can take a few tries.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

jsw6380a

Reaction score
It has to be a corrupt file or an app of some sort throwing it off... Because I have done it flawlessly... Glad it worked out for you!