Gingerbread and root issues

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I searched for my particular issue but I couldn't find an answer, so hopefully someone will be able to help me. I had a rooted Froyo OTA and wanted to install GB 4.5.588 OTA leak. So I used Super Manager and put all the bloatware back on and unrooted using z4root 1.1 that I used when I first rooted Froyo. When I tried to update, I got the error message in this pic View attachment 31396. So I said screw it and re-rooted my phone. That's when I found out that my Superuser Permissions was force closing. All my programs that required root still worked, but I couldn't add any more. I read somewhere that I had to re-install superuser.apk, so I did that but it didn't work. I got a blank black screen with no pop up window. Then I read somewhere that I had to clear my data and then re-install; that made it even worse as none of my previous programs worked now. I've wiped everything, but the original superuser.apk and su file are still there. I've used z4root 1.3 and it roots but I can't gain any superuser access. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck in a Froyo limbo of sorts in that I can't get Gingerbread, and I can't root. Stuck with a stock DX, which is okay I guess, but I miss tinkering around. At this point, I figure I'd wait for the official push of Gingerbread and just go back to a rooted Froyo. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: forgot to mention that when I try to run DX/2 Overclock after I attempt to root, it stays on the loading page for a while before telling me that it could not get root access while after unrooting, it lets me know right away. Not sure what to make of it. Thanks.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would SBF back to stock .340 then wipe data/factory reset just so your starting clean. After that you can root run droid2 bootstrap and install the GB rooted build

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

That is what I did. I tried the other way and it hosed things, so I had to SBF and do it cleanly. Better that way anyway, even if it takes longer.

OP
H

Howie Dub

Reaction score
thanks guys. i'll do that. if i have any questions, i'll be back :)