No home button on Moto z3

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
if the rumors are true, there will be no home button on the Moto z3.

he phone will remove the home button of its predecessor, the excellent Z2 Play, and as such is likely to feature a display larger than the Z2 Play's 5.5-inch one. There are also some dual cameras on the back of a render that was tweeted by frequent tipster Evan Blass. It also seems the headphone jack has been removed.

Moto Z3 Play kicks the home button to the curb

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
As nice as the Z3 will be my Droid Z shows no signs of slowing down. No reason to trade up yet. As for the home button. I'm sure that'll move to the side somewhere. No big deal.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't understand that article at all. It makes no sense to me. The Home button is clearly there in his leaked image. Is she referring to the fingerprint scanner? Is that what she calls a home button? If so, this is the third leak claiming that Moto is moving it to the side, below the power button. "If it's any consolation, it looks.like the phone will keep Moto Mods.....". Yes, of course it will. Moto has made it very clear many, many times that the first 3 generations of Moto Z will be pretty much the same basic shape & size so all Moto Mods from 2016 - 2018 will be 100% compatible.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is no power button, the fingerprint scanner is the new power button. Which makes sense since you can lock/unlock the phone with finger scanner.

Looks good but I wish it was fatter with bigger battery like original z play. Bet you this one will have 3k battery instead of 3500.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Moto phones have not had a physical Home button in years. They removed it before Samsung, I believe. Moto phones use a virtual Home button. Which is clearly in the leaked pics.

abdfa8da195b7105f7034fb395461392.jpg

The fingerprint scanner on my Z Force and Z Play is not a Home button, just a finger print scanner and will turn the screen On / Off. I think the author of this article confused the Moto fingerprint scanner for a Home button.

The article should be titled Moto removed the front fingerprint scanner for the Moto Z3.....not Moto removed the home button.

be9530ec46a3025f631ce89c52faad76.jpg

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I called it the home button to. I wasn't thinking. I've been up all night working, that's my excuse. o_O

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm just surprised that someone at CNET would write that article and confuse a fingerprint scanner for a home button. They are usually pretty accurate. When I saw the title of this thread I was confused, and wondered how the heck they would remove the virtual home button.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'm just surprised that someone at CNET would write that article and confuse a fingerprint scanner for a home button. They are usually pretty accurate. When I saw the title of this thread I was confused, and wondered how the heck they would remove the virtual home button.

thanks for the clarification :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
In this rumored pic, it shows the standard virtual Back / Home / Recent Apps button menu. Looking at these, it looks like Moto is planning on placing the fingerprint scanner on the right side below the Volume buttons and moving the Power button to the left side. It makes sense, they cannot put the fingerprint scanner on the back since that would interfere with any attached Moto Mods. Who knows how much of this is true at this point, but hopefully we will know for sure in June or July (if they stick to last year's announcement schedule).

Possible Moto Z3.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here are some other Moto Z3 rumors. These are 100% leaked rumors, so take all of this with a few grains of salt. Some leaks indicate Moto may be packaging some Z3 models with Moto Mods bundled together.

Moto Z “Power” Edition. Bundled with a Battery Moto Mod;
Moto Z “Style” Edition. Bundled with a Style Shell;
Moto Z “Gamepad” Edition. Bundled with a Gamepad Mod;
Moto Z “Projection” Edition. Bundled with a Instashare Projector Mod

A 6-inch “Max Vision” AMOLED display with FHD+ resolution and 18:9 aspect ratio.
One of the thinnest premium smartphones in the market (maybe).
An octa-core Snapdragon 636 processor, 4GB RAM, and either 32GB or 64GB internal memory.
3000 mAH battery (yes, I know....it's smaller than the original Z series, but consistent with the Z2).
A side mounted fingerprint scanner.

Hopefully we will see what is true later this Summer.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So now that the Z3 Play is available for sale in the US starting today, is anyone planning on ordering one? Or have one on order?

Or are we all waiting for the August 2nd announcement to see what else is new from Moto this year?

That $499 price tag, with a Moto Power Pack included, is very enticing but I think I'm going to wait and see what happens on August 2nd.

I wonder if Verizon will carry the new Motorola One phones? I don't think so, because they can't add their carrier apps to Android One phones.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
For me, I'm only waiting until August 2nd then making my decision on a new phone. I'm curious to know if any of our Forum members are interested in the Z3 Play.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I like the play. If Oreo messed up my phone I'd get it but it didn't so I'll wait. I do like the gorilla glass over the plastic screen. Never had a problem with the glass and never broke a screen even when I dropped my phone. I miss the headphone jack to. While the price is tempting I can't justify it because my Droid is fine.