no good battery life in CM7 build 6

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
I have no widgets at all, I turned all sync off, and my battery drains about 30% during the night. It doesn't really bother me though because this rom is awesome. Besides, I'm sure it will be fixed eventually. I'm not going anywhere.

Sent from my Droid 2 running Cyanogenmod 7

plutonium0587

Reaction score
Yeah I have no widgets that sync and my battery still sucks. I don't have a chance to charge during the day so its not good for me. I love this rom so its going to be a tough choice.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have no widgets that sync and my battery still sucks. I don't have a chance to charge during the day so its not good for me. I love this rom so its going to be a tough choice.

Get Juice Defender, that will help.

Look at Battery Usage in Settings>About and see what's using battery the most - you might have an app/service that is stuck and sucking battery.

plutonium0587

Reaction score

Get Juice Defender, that will help.

Look at Battery Usage in Settings>About and see what's using battery the most - you might have an app/service that is stuck and sucking battery.

I did find that Maps has had a "keep awake" time of 1 hour and it accounts for 5%. Maybe from latitude because I have used no maps today. Nothing else on there seems suspect.

phoenixus

Reaction score
Red Flea, does Juice Defender really help out that much? I've always thought it was an app in with the likes of a task killer. Is the free version still good?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Juice Defender is nothing like a task killer...it reduces power consumption primarily by turning off data/wifi when the phone screen is off...it's similar in functionality to the battery manager in the stock D2 ROM (which I liked quite a bit).

You can use the free version of Juice Defender (and you can also pay for additional functionality via add-ons like Juice Ultimate if you want), but the free version will cover the basics...

I definitely recommend you give it a try...free, can't hurt, should help. :)

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Juice Defender is nothing like a task killer...it reduces power consumption primarily by turning off data/wifi when the phone screen is off...it's similar in functionality to the battery manager in the stock D2 ROM (which I liked quite a bit).

You can use the free version of Juice Defender (and you can also pay for additional functionality via add-ons like Juice Ultimate if you want), but the free version will cover the basics...

Since you have this app, would you mind telling me if it has any functionality to prevent the phone's 3G, from draining the battery twice as fast, looking for reception when you're not in reception? Yesterday I was at 100% around 7am. By 10am I was at 19% because I was out of reception. I didn't think it would kill my battery like that but I guess it does.

loki993

Reaction score
Yeah, I flashed this and battery life is pretty bad. I'm using the oem extended battery and its still down to 50 percent in a few hours. I don't use wifi, its off. I look at the battery usage and its all screen. Don't know. I'm sure they'll get it fixed, I'm not worried. I got a car charger

Sent from my DROID2

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Since you have this app, would you mind telling me if it has any functionality to prevent the phone's 3G, from draining the battery twice as fast, looking for reception when you're not in reception? Yesterday I was at 100% around 7am. By 10am I was at 19% because I was out of reception. I didn't think it would kill my battery like that but I guess it does.

No, I don't believe Juice Defender can do that. I haven't looked to hard, but I don't know of a solution for that issue (other than Airplane mode). I go to a family cottage each year where 3G reception is very weak, and every phone I've ever taken there, including my Droid, gets killed by the 3G hunting.

havens1515

Reaction score

If you're out of range for reception, put the phone in airplane mode. It turns off all the radios. You just need to remember to take it off of airplane mode when you get back in range (but there will be a little airplane icon in the top right to remind you, so you shouldn't forget)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
RevNumbers has released a new nightly that provides built-in wifi timeout, which may help w/battery life:

The following build tests modifying the wifi timeout, customizable in build.prop
by modifying ro.product.wifi_timeout (in miliseconds)
hopefully it will help with battery life
CM4D2 Nightly Build 2011-07-12 (r1)

CM4D2 unnoficial nightly links

I've installed it, seems to run fine, haven't had time to notice if there is a change...

He also has a build 13 but his nightly page doesn't indicate if the mod is included in that or subsequent builds or not...

KingLo

Reaction score
CM7 comes with a modified power control widget that has a button that turns off the 3g radio. Its a little icon the looks like 2 arrows pointing away from each other

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Yep. I got it. I've been tweaking the battery and other stuff. Using airplane mode too for out of reception times. Tuesday I was at 72% battery life left after 9 hours and 52 mins. Yesterday I was at 70% battery life left after 12 hours and 2 minutes. Not bad at all. I don't use extended battery.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
CM7 comes with a modified power control widget that has a button that turns off the 3g radio. Its a little icon the looks like 2 arrows pointing away from each other

So that would stop the phone "hunting" for a 3G connection in a weak signal area, and phone calls/texts would still come through on 1X?

Nvm...just tested it...setting 2G allows calls, turns off 3G radio. The 1X icon didn't appear in my status bar, but a call I made went through.

Inerestingly, the 2G/3G switch in the Notification Power Widget in CyanogenMod settings is disable and can't be selected for inclusion. Seems like the same functionality, is it a bug that it's disabled there and available in the Power Control widget?

Also, is there any way to access the settings in the Power Control widget other than by creating a new instance of the widget and adjusting the settings while creating that new instance of the widget? Once you have created the widget its settings become inaccessible unless you create another instance of it...

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score

So that would stop the phone "hunting" for a 3G connection in a weak signal area, and phone calls/texts would still come through on 1X?

Nvm...just tested it...setting 2G allows calls, turns off 3G radio. The 1X icon didn't appear in my status bar, but a call I made went through.

Inerestingly, the 2G/3G switch in the Notification Power Widget in CyanogenMod settings is disable and can't be selected for inclusion. Seems like the same functionality, is it a bug that it's disabled there and available in the Power Control widget?

Also, is there any way to access the settings in the Power Control widget other than by creating a new instance of the widget and adjusting the settings while creating that new instance of the widget? Once you have created the widget its settings become inaccessible unless you create another instance of it...

You're confusing 3G/2G/1X (which is purely data) with the voice network. Some newer phones can do Vo3G (voice calls over 3G), but ours cannot. Turning off 3G is basically disabling all data. The 2G/3G switch is basically saying "use the slower 2G network for data instead of the newer, faster 3G network."

In a perfect situation, you have 2 icons in the top right showing signal... 1 will show either 3G or 1X, which shows that you have a data connection. Then there are the bars, which show your connection to the voice network.

Airplane mode turns of ALL antennae. That includes 3G, wifi, and voice calls. Turning off 3G will simply turn off data, and switching from 3G to 2G will use a slower data connection, which is supposed to save some battery life.