No data after tethering with "Wi-Fi tether"

MBargh87

Reaction score
You have to restore to factory defaults and go through the activation process again I too had UDv8. Try the BB rom once you go through the process. PM me if you have ne more questions.
Thank you for your quick reply. I guess I'll revert back to factory defaults and give BB a shot. I've been reading that a custom kernel is crucial to getting tether to work (I am using Chevy 1.2 Ghz). Out of curiosity which kernel are you using? And how did you install it? (Renamed mine to update.zip and installed it through root menu, however when I tried adamZ's kernel I was unable to rename it to update.zip and therefore did not know how to install it.) Again I am a newb, and thank you for your reply!

OP
H

hummvee2134

Reaction score
Yeah i used the chevy one. Did the update.zip method.

Im new at this too. just did mine Saturday night. When i ran into the same problem as you i was using whatever kernel came with the UD image. I wasnt under the impresison that you need a custom kernel to tether, just root access.

The only reason i installed a custom kernel was to overclock :)

Oh and when you do factory defaults make sure you reset it from the settings menu. This will completely deactivate your phone so when you re-activate your starting off on a fresh slate.

From there you can actually revert from a backup and your data should work fine.

Let me know how it works.

MBargh87

Reaction score
Gah, same problem. I restored to factory defaults, then installed Bugless Beast v.09 (which I like a lot, thanks for pointing me in that direction). However I am still getting no damn data when trying to tether. Basically I installed BB by restoring it as a nandroid backup, then tried tethering right off the bat and am still having the same problem. There must be something that I am missing here, any ideas?

OP
H

hummvee2134

Reaction score
Just to make sure you are having the same problem as I had, are you able to get online at all with your phone? Or are you only having problems while tethering?

Also, when you restored to factory defaults did the first start wizard force you to reactivate your phone?

When I was having my issue on Sunday, I removed nandroid, sprecovery, root, and restored to the factory image. Then I went to settings > privacy > factory data reset.

The factory data reset was what fixed the data issue.

Keep us updated, I'm sure a lot of other users will find this info useful

MBargh87

Reaction score
My only issue is with tethering, I am able to connect online just fine. I unrooted my phone and restored factory defaults following DroidReview's method on youtube.

Also, when you restored to factory defaults did the first start wizard force you to reactivate your phone?

Yeah the start up wizard had me resync my phone with my gmail account. I'm going to unroot my phone again and try restoring factory defaults using your method, hopefully it works!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
however when I tried adamZ's kernel I was unable to rename it to update.zip and therefore did not know how to install it.) Again I am a newb, and thank you for your reply!

I went step by step through link 3 in my sig and wifi-tethering works fine. I took the smoked glass blue option but that's just a theme. overclocked at 1.1 since I made the move.

Funny, pre-rooted I thought I might "try" 800mhz but never thought I'd just leave it on 1.1ghz. works good, doesn't overheat. Can't complain.

Anyways...pick a rom you want and the best bet is to read through the instructions a few times first. If BB is what you want then I recommend following link 1 in my thread. Matth3w has put together a great guide there.