[NHL] Let's get this discussion started.

OP
M

Matth3w

Bah, the games are being broadcast not in real time from the Olympics. So by the time the game even airs I'll already know the score...I can't watch a game once I know the score. Sucks.

In other Olympic news, the Women's team Canada beat Slovakia 18-0 today.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't even call last year a decent season if I were them. They finished second in the league in points by only one, and then couldn't even make it past the second round.
I'm a Bruins fan..... I'm not bashing your Pens :(
And I'm aware of the post season let down :)

PENS!!!

I live in New England and have to hear these Bruins fans trash talkin' junk all the time. Sad day when the Whale left Hartford, it was great having a team that close to see games without travel a couple hours

Ever seen THE OFFICIAL HARTFORD WHALERS BOOSTER CLUB NEWSLETTER ? Petition to bring back the Whalers :)

OP
M

Matth3w

Hey, I didn't know you were a Bruins fan, sorry. But still, it wasn't directed at you...it was directed at the people bashing the Pens...so I was basically telling him to give them a little dose of reality. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't know you were a Bruins fan, sorry. But still, it wasn't directed at you...it was directed at the people bashing the Pens...so I was basically telling him to give them a little dose of reality. :)
Reality is like it or not they're still defending champs until someone else wins it this year (or a repeat). :)

I'm a fan of the sport ultimately, so I still find someone to cheer for even if my team flops... which this year looks highly likely :icon_eek:

OP
M

Matth3w

I doubt we will repeat...frankly the team doesn't have much cap space to work with, and our defense is suspect with 3 out of our 6 defensemen offensive minded...we really miss Scuderi and dare I say Gill. Not to mention Malkin isn't as hot this year as he was last, although he is riding a 12 game league leading point streak. Fleury hasn't been as strong either. We have had a ton of injuries...not sure if that is related to having such a long post season two years in a row or what.

But you never know. You only need to be in the top 8.

I'm like you though, I'm a fan of the sport so I'll pick someone to root for if/when the Pens go down. Usually I'll root for the East unless it's Washington or Philly then I just love to watch them lose, regular season, pre-season, you name it. 30+ years of failure for both teams.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You never know... the post season is a different animal. Teams step it up and hockey goes to another level. Who steps up makes the difference.

I'm not a huge Sid fan, but I will defend the guy.... he takes it to another level when the game really matters... and he got his ring to prove that. Malkin was a great help and another upper echelon player... so it's not impossible.

I'm keeping my eye on New Jersey. Brodeur is incredible, and one of the all time greats in net, year after year... and with the addition of Kovalchuk makes them a lil more dangerous.

Anything can happen though.... why I LOVE the playoffs :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hawks are dangerous in the West. Interesting to see how the young team does in the post season.

OP
M

Matth3w

I saw the Hawks last season similar to the Pens of the season before...young, needing experience to really get anywhere, etc. So perhaps...this year should be interesting. It will be nice to see Detroit fail. lol

To your last post about the Pens, Martin, the thing about NJ is they ride the hell out of Brodeur. And I bet he's going to get ridden in the Olympics to boot. I doubt Fleury and Luongo will see much ice time, but you never know. By the time the playoffs roll around, I think the Devils are just too tired. They are slumping right now anyhow. Got their ass kicked by the Canes tonight...hell they chased Marty out of the net.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw the Hawks last season similar to the Pens of the season before...young, needing experience to really get anywhere, etc. So perhaps...this year should be interesting. It will be nice to see Detroit fail. lol

To your last post about the Pens, Martin, the thing about NJ is they ride the hell out of Brodeur. And I bet he's going to get ridden in the Olympics to boot. I doubt Fleury and Luongo will see much ice time, but you never know. By the time the playoffs roll around, I think the Devils are just too tired. They are slumping right now anyhow. Got their ass kicked by the Canes tonight...hell they chased Marty out of the net.
I agree... but you know as well as I do, playoffs are a whole different game. Devils are one of those teams that always step up. Maybe not all the way up, but they come to play year after year.

OP
M

Matth3w

Yeah, them and the Wings are the only thing close to a dynasty in recent times. Kovalchuck is a good player, but not sure he quite fits in with that boring trap system they got going in NJ. I guess only time will tell. Of course, he probably (or at least possibly) won't be a Devil in a couple of months anyhow.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think Kovalchuk will fit either, but he's a goal scorer and he's gonna score wherever he is.

OP
M

Matth3w

LOL I am reading this article on the Canada/Slovakia game....err...rout...the Slovakians only got nine shots on goal.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score

Its true.. the Wings are stinking it up right now... But, I still say, as long as they squeak in... they still have a shot at taking it all. Regular season goes out the window when playoffs start. Experience takes over, and Detroit has tons of it. I think it might be a good thing to enter the playoffs as the underdog for once, instead of the #1 or #2 seed.. GO WINGS!