Nexus Buying Experience Rant!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

As a disclaimer all my agony in the Nexus buying experience yesterday is mostly self inflicted, but still Google could do a few things differently to prevent a situation like mine from turning into a nightmare.

We will start off with a bit of history. I have been purchasing Nexus devices since the Galaxy Nexus. Each experience has been different, but none as painful or stressful as the experience I had yesterday when ordering the Nexus 6p. Last year I was at work when the Nexus 6 went live so I had to do my best to reload the order page until it went live. I ended up getting tied up on a job and the Nexus 6 through Google was out of stock about 30 minutes after going live. I ended up grabbing a Nexus 6 from Motorola the next day and all was well. As far as I can remember I got my device when everyone else did.

Yesterday I was able to score a day off work! I decided to sit back and watch the entire Google event. Once the event was over I mosied on over to the Google Store to do the whole F5 page refresh thing until the devices went live. I didn't want a repeat of the stress of thinking the device was sold out like last year. As soon as the Nexus 6p went live i was able to easily choose my device, and checkout. Painless. I was so at ease with the whole process that I went to lunch with my wife. As we sat there eating lunch i was skimming through email and noticed my order confirmation was there. I opened it and realized THE SHIP TO ADDRESS WAS WRONG!

My heart skipped a beat, how could they have auto populated an address that I had not lived at for 3 years!!! Why not just make each person confirm their address. Maybe they did, and I was so rushed that I didn't even check trying to make sure I secured a device. "No worries, Ill just call and they can change the address", I reasoned. About 30 minutes later, 2 hours after the purchase, I called Google. They answered promptly and after about 1 hour of going around in circles the guy determined that the only thing I could do at this point is notify the current residence at my old address that a package with my name was coming and to tell them to sign for it??!!! Due to security concerns they could not change the address more than an hour after the initial purchase.

During the conversation they had mentioned that I should cancel the first order and reorder. I decided to give that a try. I decided not to cancel my first order right away which ended up being a good idea. Upon completing the second order I was given a ship date of TWO weeks later than the first order's ship date! I immediately canceled that order since I was not willing to wait 2 extra weeks. I called back and let them know what I did which is when they said that I could try to coordinate with my mail courier once I had received the tracking number. Meanwhile both of my debit card charges are on hold for up to two weeks.

I ended up having to call the bank and burn another hour with them to get them to relinquish the cash from the canceled transaction. I would love to just be done with this whole experience, but my order is still being shipped to the wrong address. At this point I will probably just order directly through Huawei and cancel my remaining order through Google.

Yesterday's pre-order experience was pretty much a breeze for everyone else I talked to. I seemed to be the only one having such a hard time. One change that Google could make going forward is to not pre-populate the address. I would be willing to bet that atleast 10% of customers ordering do not live at the address they lived at the last time they ordered a Nexus. Another change that would save some heartache is a slight adjustment in the security policy. If I the customer can answer all of the security questions (ie last four digits of credit card number, address shipped too, ect) I should be able to change the order past the 1 hour deadline.

How was your pre-order experience? Did you run into any issues or was your experience a breeze?

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Mine went well, they did have an old address, but I corrected that before finalising. I've had other online shipping faux paux, so I tend to review stuff carefully. Don't need anymore xxxl shirts.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Experience went great. Had one in my cart as soon as it went live, deleted it and went on with my day contemplating with my inner child if I needed a new phone. Decided I should get it and ordered a new one around 10pm EST. Double checked cc# and address.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can I give you a suggestion for future? Never ever use a debit card online. Always pay with a credit card, for your safety and benefits.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I didn't buy.. But I did see if I could get thru all the way to checkout and it had my old address.. I had to hit drop down with current..

S6E+ tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I lost a 64gb usb mini/usb flash drive due to amazon shipping it to my ex wife (who I don't and can't and won't talk to) and I was unable to get it back... thankfully the seller gave me the money back, but since then I pay VERY VERY VERY careful attention to everything I order online

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Experience went great. Had one in my cart as soon as it went live, deleted it and went on with my day contemplating with my inner child if I needed a new phone. Decided I should get it and ordered a new one around 10pm EST. Double checked cc# and address.
This is the reason why most Americans are up to their eyebrows in credit card debt.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
he actually took the time to think about whether he needed or wanted it.. it clearly wasn't an impulse buy

impulse buying is why most Americans are up to their eyeballs in debt

Because he thought about it for 24 hours still does not mean it was not an impulse buy, anyone can do what they want, it's their money and their life, but when you have to contemplate if you REALLY need another phone when the one you already own does what you need on a daily basis, then I say that is not a smart financial decision. If you really want this phone, I say hold off for 6 months and get it for close to half the price, same thing happened to the Nexus 6, heck buy the Nexus 6 which is still a fantastic device for half the price, but again, that would not be a wise financial decision, and NO I am not a financial adviser, but I did sleep at the Holiday Inn:D.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Because he thought about it for 24 hours still does not mean it was not an impulse buy, anyone can do what they want, it's their money and their life, but when you have to contemplate if you REALLY need another phone when the one you already own does what you need on a daily basis, then I say that is not a smart financial decision. If you really want this phone, I say hold off for 6 months and get it for close to half the price, same thing happened to the Nexus 6, heck buy the Nexus 6 which is still a fantastic device for half the price, but again, that would not be a wise financial decision, and NO I am not a financial adviser, but I did sleep at the Holiday Inn:D.
I don't agree. If it was a matter of needing a new phone, 90% of our members would have 2/3 year old phones. Most of our most active members want the latest and greatest.
I also understand thinking twice. I usually buy 2-3 phones a year and always think twice and sometimes 3 times before I buy...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
stopping and thinking about it is in-fact the complete opposite of impulse

im·pulse
ˈimˌpəls/
noun
  1. 1.
    a sudden strong and unreflective urge or desire to act.
    "I had an almost irresistible impulse to giggle"
    synonyms: urge, instinct, drive, compulsion, itch; More
I actually talk myself out of purchases 9/10 times.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Delayed impulse. Me personally would wait for the reviews first, then still assess the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This is the reason why most Americans are up to their eyebrows in credit card debt.
By thinking twice about buying a phone?

For me, it wasn't an impulse buy. I don't carry any debt, nor do I want to. It was more along the lines of, do I buy a new phone or do I finish building my suspension on my car for racing. I've been looking at new phones for almost 6 months. I almost bought the MXPE but decided to wait. My trusty Droid Maxx has served me well but it's time to move on. A couple friends have S6's, one is an Edge, it blows my phone away by responsiveness, camera and overall feel.

Delayed impulse. Me personally would wait for the reviews first, then still assess the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
If I don't like it there is a return policy, ebay, craigslist or swappa.

I don't consider me waiting and readding to my cart as an impulse buy at all.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I didn't complete my order, but I went through the steps just to see how the options went. I've never bought anything direct from Google before.

Once I signed in, it populated with an old address and I selected the correct one from the drop-down.

I think the better moral of the story here may be that we, the consumers, should delete our old addresses from accounts we purchase things on. I've almost had packages sent to the wrong address on my ebay account several times (even had to contact a couple of sellers because I forgot to double-check the address) before I finally removed old addresses from there.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I agree with @Jonny Kansas but man that would take forever! I noticed paypal had 3 addresses ago because a credit card was linked to it. And paypal wouldn't let me delete it due to it being a primary card, which it wasn't.