Nexus 5 Appears with Android 4.4 in Leaked logfiles; Might Come with nano-SIM Slot

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5-leaked-fcc.jpg

Here are a couple of interesting tidbits regarding the Nexus 5. The first news is simply some leaked logfiles of the Nexus 5 sporting Android 4.4 KitKat. Of course, the fact that it is running KitKat isn't surprising as we would expect no less. Still, it's always great to find these bread crumbs which eventually lead to the launch of a device. These leaked docs reveal a few things. The most interesting is about the display. The resolution will be1920 x 1080 on a 4.96-inch display. This matches previous intel from FCC documents, and means it should have a PPI somewhere around 443. The log files show an Android build number of Key Lime Pie KRS74H, and that it is running on Linux Kernel version 3.4.0.

myce-android-klp-log1.gif

We found another gem of insight regarding the next Nexus phone, but this one will need to be labeled a rumor for now. Supposedly, both the Nexus 5 and future Android 4.4 KitKat devices will support a nano-SIM card slot instead of the traditional mini-SIM. This intel is a bit on the sketchy side. It is coming from a disclaimer found on the website of a Ukrainian carrier called Life :) (yes with the smiley face). Their disclaimer includes the following statement,

it will gladly equip you with a nano SIM card for your “iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, Nexus 5 or Android 4.4 smartphone”. ~ PhoneArena

Now, there are two solid conclusions from this. Either the new Nexus 5 and any future Android 4.4 smartphone will be using nano-SIM slots, or it was a typo/mistake by the author who assumed that the SIM slots are the same from device to device. Of course, it's not outside the realm of possibility, especially considering Google's newest endeavor, the Moto X, uses a nano-SIM slot instead of the old school mini-SIM. Hopefully sometime soon in October we will know if these bread crumbs were truly tasty morsels or simply distracting detritus.

Source: Phandroid

Big Ry

Reaction score
God, I hate how bulky and cumbersome my mini SIM card is. It weighs so much that my phone tears through the stitching in my pockets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to use a pair of tweezers to get the SIM card out of my phone now. And you're saying they're making them even smaller now? I can just see me trying to use a magnifying glass and tweezers on my next phone. Not gonna end well for me :(

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They'll save all that space and still not have room for an SD card :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
And we still don't know if it will come to Verizon.

Stop playing with my emotions rumor leaking persons, I care not for the size of the SIM, but rather the networks that SIM will support. Give me Verizon or give me death!!!

Okay maybe not death, but definitely a Galaxy Note 3 instead.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
What caught my eye was 4.4 is being called KeyLimePie in the software. I have a feeling the Kitkat thing was rather recent and for marketing only.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. It is just for marketing. It looks like internally they are still calling it KLP most of the time.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
New Nexus 5 Photo!

View attachment 66667

• Display: 5-inch Full HD display, 442 ppi (potentially 4.97-inch)
  • Processor: 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snadragon 800
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Internal Storage: 16GB (could be another model too, this is what was in the log)
  • Camera (rear): 8MP (no idea if it has OIS like the LG G2 camera)
  • Camera (front): 1.2MP
  • Sensors: accelerometer, magnetometer, gyroscope, proximity, light, barometer, orientation
  • Battery: 2300mAh (via FCC) and wireless charging
  • Other: LTE, NFC
  • Model: LG-D820
Source

Last edited: