Newbie questions, please help.

thinkmega

Reaction score
Very excited about Android 2.2 for MOT droid! However, I need some eduction before taking the next step:

1. After I upgrade to 2.2 using the packages here, assuming I will get root access as the result of the upgrade, will it stop the future VZ systemwide update?

2. Is there anyway I can reverse the change: can I backup the stock ROM I am using and restore it in the future, just in case.

Please help me to understand the process, thanks.

J.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums.

Before you root please do tons of studying about how to do so. You will not gain root as a result of the 2.2 here on the forums, you have to root to apply the 2.2 update period. The official 2.2 update that will be pushed Over the Air you will not have to root for. Rooting will stop your Over the Air updates from VZW but there is a way to go back to stock. Do LOTS and LOTS of reading in the hack section that can be found here:

Droid Hacking - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Last edited:
OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Thank you!

I think I have enough information about implementing the rooting process. On the other hand, I am kind of weak when it comes to the "fall back plan", and life after root.

Besides getting usb tether for sure, does this 2.2 upgrade including being root provide substantial advantage over the OTA version from verizon? I am still debating as looking for answers at the same time.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Thank you!

I think I have enough information about implementing the rooting process. On the other hand, I am kind of weak when it comes to the "fall back plan", and life after root.

Besides getting usb tether for sure, does this 2.2 upgrade including being root provide substantial advantage over the OTA version from verizon? I am still debating as looking for answers at the same time.

The OTA 2.2 update isnt out yet and nobody knows when its coming out so basically what the root 2.2 update is, is an early upgrade for root users. The OTA might be a little better than the 2.2 root user edition but with root you also have tons more options like Overclocking the processor and running custom roms (which are starting to come out for 2.2 root).

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Fall back plan: to root you are changing your recovery image in the phone which gives us read/write access when do apply the root.

These third party or after market recoveries have options to make full back ups of your phone.

I suggest following a guide, obtain root, make the back up, then start installing 2.2 related things.

Rom manager which uses the clockwork recovery image is a nice way to go because they also host 2.1 & 2.0.1 images. Read up on it though if you go that route.

Good luck and welcome :p

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Thank you.

I asked the following question elsewhere and like to try it here:

When being root (install SPRecovery and ..) and making the backup image of 2.1 which I am having, can I re-activate the phone anymore?

I heard SPRecovery would prevent VZ's OTA update. If that is the case, OTA activation should be disabled too. Am I right on this?

J.