Newbie hotspot question

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
No, you're probably right about the bluetooth. It was just starting to become popular back then and wasn't standard.

Well, I'm out of ideas. I wish you luck with the project.

abe7333

Reaction score
Ok, this question may seem pretty basic - but this is my very first cell phone so bear with me. I'm thinking of using my x as a hotspot and getting rid of DSL for my older Imac (G4). Do I need an airport to do it? Or is it as simple as using a usb cord? Thanks for the help!

Leah

I would not. To inconsistant.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I little late.

I think I've ID'ed the power supply you posted. It looks like the same supply that comes with the Multimedia Station (Desktop Dock) for the Droid X. The phone should have come with another one that looks like the supply cpinto posted.

Just got the dock today. As I was unpacking it I thought, Wow, that looks familiar.

sephtin

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind, when considering replacing DSL/Cable with your cellular connection, is that the connection will be affected not only by slower bandwidth, but also by latency.

Rather than try to explain, a quick google search results in:
Latency in Networking - Speed and High Latency

The short version:
Bandwidth is the rate of data transfer, latency is the delay between sending from one endpoint, and receiving at the other endpoint.
While the phones today have reasonable bandwidth... their latency is abysmal compared to other home internet solutions.

**IF** all you're going to use the internet connection for is browsing the web, and email... you may be ok, but expect MUCH longer delays when browsing than you're used to.

If you want to use your connection for pretty much anything else, you may start to run into problems. Many applications are sensitive to latency delays, and you could experience issues.

My best suggestion, is to try what they're saying regarding tethering for a significant amount of time BEFORE you give up your home internet connection, so you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into.

Regarding tethering, I see PDANet brought up several times here... but there are other applications that work just as well. Go to appbrain.com, and search for tether. The one I use is Barnacle Wifi Tether

GL!