1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Basic 4G vs WI-Fi question

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Goofy Yno, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Goofy Yno

Goofy Yno New Member

Hi, I have a Bionic with Verizon's 4G network. I don't understand something. I am pulling download speeds on the 4G faster than some of my dsl computers and can use the phone as a hotspot, but why can't I update or play some apps without a wi-fi connection?
    sorry if this is too basic of a question.
  2. DerrenBrown

DerrenBrown Banned

After disabling everything with dynamic choices regarding WiFi in my router it seem like I have managed to get the WiFi reasonably stable. The most significant stability improvement occurred when I changed the WiFi channel from "Auto Channel Scan" to a static selection that no other router in my neighbourhood uses (channel 4 in my case).

Other things changed, that might contribute to my increased stability.

* Changed from "WPA/WPA2" to "WPA2 Only"
    * Changed "802.11 Mode" from "802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b" to "Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b"

Phone: SE Xperia Arc
    Router: D-Link DIR-855.

Thanks a lot.
    Derren Brown

Goofy Yno New Member

You've lost me. Either I don't understand your response or you didn't get my question. I can get wi fi where there is access, but what I want to know is why can't I use my 4g to play on line games, or update some aps when there is no internet?
  4. googlelover

googlelover New Member

Its because of a combination of slow networks and tiered data I'm guessing, devs assume downloading huge apps must have wifi, and to play them they need a faster ping, usually phone networks don't have good enough. Try turning on the wifi radio and it may trick whatever your trying to do into working.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Its not a matter of speed, but rather data amount. Devs know most people are on tiered plans and that they wouldn't want to be downloading a huge app against that limit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  6. googlelover

googlelover New Member

^^ Some apps were downloaded on wifi before tiered happened, its a matter of speed and size, do you think it would be good to try and download a 200 mb file on 3G for an hour (thats if you have a strong signal) But 4G eliminates the speed problem.
Search tags for this page

4g vs wifi

4g vs wifi speed
wifi versus 4g