Basic 4G vs WI-Fi question

Goofy Yno

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Bionic with Verizon's 4G network. I don't understand something. I am pulling download speeds on the 4G faster than some of my dsl computers and can use the phone as a hotspot, but why can't I update or play some apps without a wi-fi connection?
sorry if this is too basic of a question.

D

DerrenBrown

After disabling everything with dynamic choices regarding WiFi in my router it seem like I have managed to get the WiFi reasonably stable. The most significant stability improvement occurred when I changed the WiFi channel from "Auto Channel Scan" to a static selection that no other router in my neighbourhood uses (channel 4 in my case).

Other things changed, that might contribute to my increased stability.

* Changed from "WPA/WPA2" to "WPA2 Only"
* Changed "802.11 Mode" from "802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b" to "Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b"

Phone: SE Xperia Arc
Router: D-Link DIR-855.

Thanks a lot.
Derren Brown

OP
Goofy Yno

Goofy Yno

Reaction score
You've lost me. Either I don't understand your response or you didn't get my question. I can get wi fi where there is access, but what I want to know is why can't I use my 4g to play on line games, or update some aps when there is no internet?

googlelover

Reaction score
Its because of a combination of slow networks and tiered data I'm guessing, devs assume downloading huge apps must have wifi, and to play them they need a faster ping, usually phone networks don't have good enough. Try turning on the wifi radio and it may trick whatever your trying to do into working.

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
Its not a matter of speed, but rather data amount. Devs know most people are on tiered plans and that they wouldn't want to be downloading a huge app against that limit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

googlelover

Reaction score
^^ Some apps were downloaded on wifi before tiered happened, its a matter of speed and size, do you think it would be good to try and download a 200 mb file on 3G for an hour (thats if you have a strong signal) But 4G eliminates the speed problem.