Questoins on Droid X HotSpot feature

PeterMAbraham

Reaction score
Greetings everyone:

I'm considering moving from the BlackBerry Curve 8330 to a Droid X (both from Verizon); and, I currently use the Verizon Wireless USB760 Modem plugged into my netbook to get Internet access.

The USB modem does have a dedicated (static) IP from Verizon; and I use that over any form of wifi.

Could any of you help me with some questions on the HotSpot option?

Does the HotSpot option have the ability to secure it? If yes, what ways are available for security so that only devices I want to access the Hotspot can do so?

I do have an email into Verizon, but do you think they could transfer the dedicated IP to the Droid X hot spot?

Is there a place where I can see the price chart / fees for the hot spot feature?

Thank you!

DropC

Reaction score
The Droid X uses a static IP, from what I remember seeing. So, that's a no-go on the dedicated IP transfer. And you can encrypt the signal with a 13 character key of your choice, much like standard secured wifi signals.

OP
P

PeterMAbraham

Reaction score
Greetings DropC:

The Droid X uses a static IP, from what I remember seeing. So, that's a no-go on the dedicated IP transfer.

Thank you for your prompt reply, and time.

If the IP never changes (is truly static), then that would work (we paid extra for the dedicated/static IP for the USB modem). Is there a way to confirm that each DroidX has a static (never ever changes) IP?

Or if the HotSpot feature uses a static (never changes) IP?

Thank you.

DropC

Reaction score
Ah! Darnit. I meant to type dynamic. Sorry! From what I remember, the IP isn't the same each time. I just used the wrong word. My apologies.

Of course, I could still actually be wrong. I don't have a computer near me that is wifi-enabled, so I can't really check to see.