New Verizon Shared PLans - Ready To Be Raked Over The Coals????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon's Share Everything data plans go live June 28th, let you add family (or a tablet) for a little extra -- Engadget

From engadget:
"Verizon has been promising shared data plans for awhile, so it's with some relief (and trepidation) we can say they're here. Share Everything, as it's called, starts off with the assumption you'll want unlimited voice and messages and then bolts on shared data along with a maximum of 10 individual devices: a core plan starts at $50 per month for 1GB of data and requires that you tack on $40 a month for every smartphone, $30 for basic phones, $20 for hotspots and $10 for tablets. Of course, Verizon will gladly let you pay for more data if your family loves to stream Netflix on 4G all day, up to $100 for a common pool of 10GB. A stiff price, but it also includes tethering or hotspot creation support on any device in the mix. The new plans will be ready to tempt you away from your unlimited data on June 28th."

View attachment 50932

"Thank you sir, may I have another??"
So this is how it feels she you are already packed and someone hands you a bucket of sand........
Glad I won't be worrying about an upgrade anytime soon.

ViperX

Reaction score
Yep I have an upgrade but I am waiting on the razr hd looks like I am going to have to buy it at no commitment price. I was hoping they would take there releasing the shared plans like they do with everything else.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So, when exactly will the grandfathered unlimited plans be axed? I just renewed my unlimited plan two months ago when I upgraded to my Maxx - about two weeks before the announcements that the unlimited plans would be phased out. Do I get to keep it until my next phone upgrade (a good 18-24 months from now, hopefully), or will I be automatically switched over within the next few months?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I wonder how they will factor in people that get a monthly access discount with these plans. Right now I get 25% off of my voice and messaging plan, and 20% off my $29 unlimited data. While my wife's data plan has no discount applied to it, so if these are all one in theory I should get 25% off the whole bundle.

Still the base plan plus $40 bucks for each smart phone is kind of crazy, plus we have her dad on our plan with just a $10 add on I don't want to have to pay $30 for him instead to get him on this plan when he uses no data.

nikecar

Reaction score
So, when exactly will the grandfathered unlimited plans be axed? I just renewed my unlimited plan two months ago when I upgraded to my Maxx - about two weeks before the announcements that the unlimited plans would be phased out. Do I get to keep it until my next phone upgrade (a good 18-24 months from now, hopefully), or will I be automatically switched over within the next few months?

Unless revised in the future, you have until June 27th to renew and upgrade with unlimited, IF you currently have it. You may still keep unlimited after this date but you will have to pay full price for a phone or get it from a 3rd party vendor/person and activate it. If you upgrade with a subsidized (discounted) phone, then you lose it.

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
For us with multiple smart phones, may save a few bucks. However, still leary about dropping 2 unlimited plans in favor of it.

May push me to get smart phones over basic phones though.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

nikecar

Reaction score
I wonder how they will factor in people that get a monthly access discount with these plans. Right now I get 25% off of my voice and messaging plan, and 20% off my $29 unlimited data. While my wife's data plan has no discount applied to it, so if these are all one in theory I should get 25% off the whole bundle.

Still the base plan plus $40 bucks for each smart phone is kind of crazy, plus we have her dad on our plan with just a $10 add on I don't want to have to pay $30 for him instead to get him on this plan when he uses no data.
i would think that the plan would still work by giving you the % discount.

I think we need clarification on the phone fees. I see one thread mentioning the feee is on phones 2+, but for the 1st phone its not included. If the excessive phone fee wasn't there, these would be great plans. $80 for 6GB with unlimited calls and txt. I'd pay $10 extra for the 2nd phone. that would be comparable to what I pay with one line and a non-smart phone on the 2nd.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Is unlimited talk and text the only option for pairing with shared data? I'm sure there will be a more complete breakdown coming soon, but I would be pretty put-off if they don't offer shared data separate from the plans listed. My wife and I use the smallest shared minutes plan available (not even advertised) and we don't even come close to touching the limit because almost everyone we talk to is also on Verizon (unlimited M2M). Likewise, she only we are both on the 500 messaging plan because it allows unlimited M2M.

On a similar but unrelated note, I am pissed about the (potential) loss of unlimited data. I used to tether and was frequently around 3-4GB of data per month, but even now with no tethering, I am regularly around 2GB of data usage. With all the ads in apps and 4G speeds, getting to 2GB is almost a given, and while I doubt it will happen, I hope to see them bring down the data prices when 4G becomes available to all or nearly all because it seems silly to put the same cap on 3G and 4G speeds. It would be like telling people who have cable internet that they can only use what they were previously allotted with their 56K modem.

Kenny Bats

Reaction score

I believe you can keep unlimited forever as long as you don't break your current contract by upgrading to a new device at a subsidized price.

In other words as long as you're willing to pay full retail for new devices you can keep your current contract and remain unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.