New to Droids! Scary!

PIMking

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just got the Droid 2 Global last night and I'm pretty much Droid stupid.

I had a blackberry before this and just don't understand killing apps, rooting, and how my batter was ran down from 100% at 9:20am to 40% at 12:45 PM.

I didn't mess with it too much while I was in school (college) I didn't use the internet and if I did I used WIFI.

I just can't believe that this would be dead in about 6 hours with such light use.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Batteries suck, but you'll get a day with "normal" use.
Let the system decide what apps to run, it is a smartphone. :)
There is a whole forums dedicated to rooting - allowing access to the root files.

I leave my phone plugged in until I go out...then it lasts pretty much a day or so.

want a droid

Reaction score
Give the battery some time to break in. Read up on some posts that explain how to make your battery last.

Getsome122

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Droid.

Baterry life will pick up a little after a couple full cycles but don't expect a couple days worth like a dumb phone.

Read up on everything and ask questions. Plenty of smart and helpful people on here.

DX- rooted, strapped, deodexed,OC'd, and themed how I like it...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just got the Droid 2 Global last night and I'm pretty much Droid stupid.

I had a blackberry before this and just don't understand killing apps, rooting, and how my batter was ran down from 100% at 9:20am to 40% at 12:45 PM.

I didn't mess with it too much while I was in school (college) I didn't use the internet and if I did I used WIFI.

I just can't believe that this would be dead in about 6 hours with such light use.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. We can help you understand these things.

First in regards to the battery, right now you're using it a lot. The display takes more power then just about anything else. Go to settings/battery manager and see if I'm right.

If you have wifi in your house then leave it on wifi. Use GPS only when you need it. It will take a while but eventually your battery life will improve.

As mentioned, don't worry about apps running in the background. They aren't truly running, they are more like sleeping and at the ready. Droid does indeed know how to manage it's apps.

Do not install task killers or virus protection.

I always recommend get a spare battery. You can get one on Amazon for 8.00 and a wall charger on ebay for 5.00. Just because you will have days that you use it more then usual.

And finally there is a learning curve. Basically you need to forget everything you know about Blackberry. It doesn't apply with Droid. Good luck and let us know if we can help you further.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum! in addition to the Droid Discussions section for all things Droid, we have a separate section, with several subforums, devoted entirely to the D2. it's only scary because you now have an OS that is light years ahead of RIM. just keep playing with your phone, and browsing around in here - you'll get the hang of it in no time, and will be wondering why you didn't make the switch sooner. ;) and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. just get involved in the forum - tons of info, and even more people willing to help and share ideas and info.

as for your batt issue, give it time - it takes a little use for your batt to "settle in." while it's new, let it completely discharge a couple times before recharging. after that, you will start getting a lot better batt life. in addition, there is an extended batt available for the D2, if you can't get enough life out of the one you have.

stick around and join in the fun!

OP
P

PIMking

Reaction score
thanks for all the info!!

I've been reading since last night, it's just so much information to digest.

BTW how do I get a picture that is saved on the phone as a wallpaper with out it BLOWING up huge?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
when you select the image to be your wp, a preview screen will pop up. there is a red line around the image. touch the red line, and you can pull it out to make more of the image appear as the wp (thus, making it more normal sized on your screen).

OP
P

PIMking

Reaction score
when you select the image to be your wp, a preview screen will pop up. there is a red line around the image. touch the red line, and you can pull it out to make more of the image appear as the wp (thus, making it more normal sized on your screen).

no dice, just shows a smaller picture with an orange box

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
That is how android os makes wallpaper

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
You can get them for free or buy them or make your own! Grab we.paint.net on your pc or photoshop get the dimensions right that's what I am learning to do.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is how android os makes wallpaper

...or, you're trying to make a thumbnail into your wp. you need to get the actual picture file, with bigger dimensions. here is an example. below is a thumbnail of a wp. if you just try and save that image, you will have your issues. but, if you click on that thumbnail below, another window will open with the full size picture. then, right click on the image, and "save picture as..." that will give you the full size image on your phone.

OP
P

PIMking

Reaction score
Even if I just take the picture with the phone and try to use that picture it is blown way up.