New to bionic

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
Just got it last night ...what is the latest update? ? My connection drops constantly ..but other then that I love the phone
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
klaudiadroid2

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
This is what I'm running

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325890968267.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1325890968267.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 268

indymale26

Reaction score
Ur on current up to date status but we will get another update comin up, i have had some data issues but verizon 4g lte devices been havin same issue

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What you have is the latest OTA update. There is a second one, 5.9.901, which went OTA to a couple dozen people. There are a few threads on where to get it and how to install it.
1324784506421.jpg

OP
klaudiadroid2

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
Ur on current up to date status but we will get another update comin up, i have had some data issues but verizon 4g lte devices been havin same issue

I had a thunderbolt before this and connection was great ..I'm usually only getting 3g on this ..so any idea when we will get the ota?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh really. Is it the official update?

That's a good question. As I said, this update appeared to a couple of dozen people. We were later told this was sent accidentally. It appears to be an official version. Many have downloaded it and have had better results. One of the problems is that the 4G network is still early and has teething problems. I've heard it has to do with the 4G accepting the phone's request to connect. If the acceptance is slow you don't connect. Some phones seem to be quicker in sending another "request."

If you want to try the update, you can get it from DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life on the mirror site.

After that, this is what I did...

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

OP
klaudiadroid2

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
That's a good question. As I said, this update appeared to a couple of dozen people. We were later told this was sent accidentally. It appears to be an official version. Many have downloaded it and have had better results. One of the problems is that the 4G network is still early and has teething problems. I've heard it has to do with the 4G accepting the phone's request to connect. If the acceptance is slow you don't connect. Some phones seem to be quicker in sending another "request."

If you want to try the update, you can get it from DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life on the mirror site.

After that, this is what I did...

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

Thank you so much

bionic805er

Reaction score
Does any one know where I can get thread for the 9.0.1 update thanks..I appreaciatte and how can I update to that 901 I keep checkin and it says your device is up2 date

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Congrats on the Bionic!!

Welcome to the forum!!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does any one know where I can get thread for the 9.0.1 update thanks..I appreaciatte and how can I update to that 901 I keep checkin and it says your device is up2 date

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OK, read my post #7; it gives you the link to get the .901 update and how to install it on an unrooted phone.

Now, a bit about OTA updates. First they are RANDOM; so random; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics at the same time, one could get the update long before the other. Second is that they can arrive in the background. What you'd see is a question on if you want to install it (rather than download and install). Third is when you check for an update, you are pinging the carrier, who checked to see if you're scheduled to receive it. If you are, then you'll get notice that an update is available to download. This means that if you're scheduled to get the update on, say, January 25 at 3:47am, you're phone will say that it's "up to date" despite the fact that others on this forum had been getting it since the 16th.

OP
klaudiadroid2

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
Another question ..if I install this update manually will it wipe my phone? When I had my thunderbolt it did ..and the charge it didn't ..idk about this phone

OP
klaudiadroid2

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
Everything went smooth and nothing wiped :) I'm pretty sure this is official update ..people actually got it ota. So I'm pretty sure if they messed up they'll fix it hopefully and still keep us on the right update path

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
So after talking to you guys about getting the bionic and trading in my Nexus I finally did it lastnight.

First impressions....
I thank the phone is awesome and reading all the problems people had been having scared me. I bought the phone in a 4G area and I live in a 3G area. So far no issues with data or anything. Before I updated to 893 I hadn't noticed a problem and still haven't noticed a problem after the update so I might just wait for 901.

Things I miss from the Nexus...
The screen is awesome on the nexus, not that the bionics is bad but 720P is hard to beat. And of course ICS, its just awesome but other then that Bionic all the way.

My biggest issue with the Nexus out of all the issues was call quality and the Bionic reminds me of my OG, it dominates in this area. So for a 100 bucks cheaper and a wait for ICS, the Bionic is the clear winner for me :)