New Moto X Battery Tests Not Looking Great

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-2014-battery-test.png

It's easy to be excited about Motorola's next generation Moto X, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at all of the factors before making an informed purchase. Apparently, it has one weakness that could be important to some of you. Its 2300 mAh battery could be a bit bigger or more efficient.

The phone was recently put through its paces by the folks at PhoneArena and the battery life comes up on the middling side of things. It's not atrocious by any means, but it is bested by the LG G3, the HTC One M8, the Galaxy S5 and more. In fact, it's battery life is closer to the iPhone 5S than any of the current flagships on the market.

What do you guys think? Is this a factor that makes you rethink this device?

Source: PhoneArena

realged13

Reaction score
I think it is a big deal. That is one reason why I love my Maxx. Even as old as it is and all the stuff I have running plus Google Now (I love the "okay google" feature) my battery lasts a good day and half without charging.

I just don't understand the reasoning on why not to put a bigger battery in it.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
This is a monstrous deal for me. I hope they do something to increase efficiency. I get terrible signal at work so my phone is constantly switching towers and going in and out of service. My old Galaxy S3 barely lasts the workday! I need something with a super battery.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah IMO they messed up a huge hit. I was very excited for this device pending confirmation on the battery. Had they put a good sized battery in it the new X would be my next device. Now I'm left to see what the N6 has for us, and I'm kinda worried it'll be the same result.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sad. How can manufacturers NOT know that better battery life has been a major point of contention with their customers the last few years? They've probably cut their customer base (for this device) by at least half because of this tomfoolery.

tap'n on my S5

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My LG G3 lasts so damn long. I think people need to wait for real world testing before making a decision. Turn on the ART runtime. That helped a ton on my LG G3.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't care. With the Turbo Charger that will charge it to 8 hours on a 15 minute charge, I like this idea. Stop making giant phones with giant batteries and make charging more efficient. I like this idea.

Last edited:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
My LG G3 right out of the box was terrible with battery life on the first few days but then it got better, much better and that is what I am hoping here...I am disappointed in the small battery but there are worse things :) especially as mentioned above, they will have Turbo Charge :)...

Reactions: cr6

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yup ..I agree ...my M8 goes a full day + easily ...so if the X comes in around a day that be good for plenty peeps ...

M8 tap'd

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Weird because my nexus averages at minimum 8 hours, in fact I routinely go 12 hours before putting it on the charger with it having 30% battery life. So not saying that chart is wrong just saying I can go more than 4 hours. Now he may be going full brightness heavy media. And in that case that really isn't the average usage.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll just have to see how it handles to the average user.

on the move..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Was pretty shocked to find out the battery had such an almost insignificant bump in capacity, especially considering the stats of the phone. Everything else about the phone improved, but that battery is tiny for such a beast of a phone.

I'm sure if you monitor how you use your phone you can certainly make it work the whole day, but with phones of this size we really shouldn't need to be worrying about that. No point in having a powerhouse of a phone if you don't got the juice to back it up.

As someone who's pretty much constantly texting, I'm not so sure this battery will last me the whole day. I don't mind charging it mid day as I do that with my s4 already, but at least I can throw in a spare battery if I really can't get to a charger. Moto doesn't give me that option and that could be a real dealbreaker for me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Battery has never been a big concern of mine since I usually have easy access to outlets to charge. I need/want a new phone, but between the "phablet" type size and other issues it's looking like the Moto X2 isn't a good fit.

Honestly, I'm strongly leaning toward getting a discounted original Moto X. Too bad the DE for Verizon are done.

Considering I have to pay retail I'm looking for my next phone to last 3+ years...not seeing such a phone available [anywhere].