New Member, Old Question

bigiron

Reaction score
I just joined this board and I have a question that I'm sure has been asked a million times on this board but I can't find the question or the answer. My Droid has qone haywire. I will receive a call and then out of the blue I can hear the caller but the caller can't hear me. Today the phone went completely nuts, did the same thing and the phone also managed to dial my Voicemail. So now I can hear the caller, he can't hear me and i'm in voice mail. I took it to Verizon and the tech guy wanted to do a hard boot on it which would wipe out all my contact info, get rid of all my apps, etc. I live and die by my cell phone. It's how I get my work. It's totally a life line. It stays on 24/7 365. I have to get this fixed. PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
I just joined this board and I have a question that I'm sure has been asked a million times on this board but I can't find the question or the answer. My Droid has qone haywire. I will receive a call and then out of the blue I can hear the caller but the caller can't hear me. Today the phone went completely nuts, did the same thing and the phone also managed to dial my Voicemail. So now I can hear the caller, he can't hear me and i'm in voice mail. I took it to Verizon and the tech guy wanted to do a hard boot on it which would wipe out all my contact info, get rid of all my apps, etc. I live and die by my cell phone. It's how I get my work. It's totally a life line. It stays on 24/7 365. I have to get this fixed. PLEASE HELP!

Alright,
I believe that "Possessed Droid Symptom" (PDS) is cause by a rouge/bad app. Try taking off apps. installed before this activity happened. If you do decide to do a factory recovery first make sure that all your contacts are linked to the Google cloud via your email. When you factory reset all your contacts, apps, and such will be loaded back to the phone. Hope this helps.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood, bigiron! Glad you've decided to join us! Just jump right in and make yourself at home! You'll find that the folks here are very friendly and knowledgeable -everyone is here to help and learn.

My first question would be what kind of a charger are you using for the Droid? They are very prone to erratic behavior if the wrong charger is used on them. Just a thought you might want to explore.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let's Sherlock Holmes this. Had you just washed your hands or taken a shower? Water on the screen can make the droid seem insane. Or maybe your ear or cheek somehow managed to call your voicemail.

Anyway, as for people complaining of voice quality: reboot every 3 days at least and make sure you're talking into the mic. Maybe try losing your phone case if you have one or holding the phone differently so you don't cover the noise canceling mic on the upper BACK of the phone.

Some people might say you need to change other settings like turning off voice privacy, but the above has worked for me. Hopefully 2.1 will fix this.

Reaction score
My first question would be what kind of a charger are you using for the Droid? They are very prone to erratic behavior if the wrong charger is used on them. Just a thought you might want to explore.

I cannot believe I didn't think of this. This happened to me...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The charger issues I've heard of all only occurred while plugged into the charger. Moisture is also a problem as suggested.

1) how long have you had the phone for?
2) if they erase your phone your contacts come back from gmail and you can back up your apps onto your card with Astro for free or use a backup program.
3) as someone else suggested: have you recently installed or updated apps? Can you uninstall them to see if it makes a difference
4) Is your phone rooted or stock?
5) stock charger? (gotta throw that in there :) )

I'd be inclined to let the store do their stuff, especially if you've only had the phone for a short while. You can do the data reset yourself from home or have verizon walk you through that on the phone too.

OP
B

bigiron

Reaction score
this is starting to make sense

I think the pds syndrome makes the most sense as far as the way the phone is acting. i took off all the apps that i don't need, which is most of them right now. some of the would not uninstall, which is furthers the case for pds. i'm not sure how to uninstall apps that won't uninstall by the uninstall app included in the phone. one thing i'm having trouble with is understanding where things live in the phone. i can hook it up to my iMac and go inside and see things but i don't know where important things are like my phone directory. I would like to have the phone completely rebooted at the verizon store. i know this will wipe out everything so i would like to have my contacts backed up at home so i can reinstall them. trouble is i don't know where they are. if somebody could give me a quick tutorial on how the phone files are sttuctured i would greatly appreciate it. i got the android back up and had no idea how to use it.

thanks,

bigiron:icon_ banana: