New Droid user wanting to root

nornevrder

Reaction score
K I am sorry if I am beating a dead horse here but I have a few questions. I am about to root my phone mainly because I am in Alaska and 2.2 has not came out yet and I want to get flash10.1 on my phone. I work in the Arctic half the year on a oil field and there is a lot of down time in the winter so it is a good time killer watching videos and what not. Also I would like to speed it up to 800mhz. I will be downloading onix froyo 2.0rc2 cause that is what a friend of mine recommended to me. Is there any cons to rooting your phone? Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.

harrellj

Reaction score
Not very many cons, other than you'll have to unroot to get any warranty work done on the phone since rooting voids the warranty. Realize that there's a large number of people on these forums who have rooted the phone too. If you do root and overclock your kernel, realize it will have an effect on your battery life (depending on how you set up your profiles, it could be to the better or to the worse).

One question, are you running the D1 like your profile says? Because it should have gotten 2.2, regardless of where you're at. If you didn't get prompted, go to settings > about phone and there should be an option there to check for updates. I'm rooted so I don't know the specifics after that point though.

OP
nornevrder

nornevrder

Reaction score
My carrier is ACS not Verizon and I went there today and they are not sure when 2.2 is going to come out. My phone has no updates as of right now the only update I have got since I have owned the phone is 2.1 update 1