Thanking about rooting my droid

justicw

Reaction score
I've thought about this for a while but I am a TOTAL NOOB when it comes to this stuff. I love the way my droid is setup right now but it's just not quick enough for me. I would like to OC my droid to 800Mhz to smooth things out a bit. I don't want to change the way my phone is setup now so my question is if I root will I need to re-setup everything or will everything be the same it is now?

If I do root should I use a custom rom ( I have seen several all over the place) or should I just root and then OC as that is the only thing I am realy interested in anyway.

What are your thoughts on this (and please remember I'm totaly new to all of this).

joeymoose

Reaction score
If your thinking about it then chances are you will end up doing it. There are many step by step threads for noob's on how to Root. Pete's Bugless Beauty is a great ROM. OC is awesome, Wifi tether is sweet, do I really need to say more?

OP
justicw

justicw

Reaction score
Is Bugless Beauty the top rom out there right now? Is it updated often with bug fixes and such (does the dev's support it still)? Do I need to backup or can I install over top of my current setup?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
don't need to load a custom rom to oc. just need to install busybox and sprecovery. then you can flash a taz kernel and done.

Last edited:

tu3218

Reaction score
Research Sholes updater. Its on the marketplace and its really straightforward on rooting your droid. I actually wonder what the difference is between sholes rom's and the BB rom? Anyone care to explain?

Reaction score
I've thought about this for a while but I am a TOTAL NOOB when it comes to this stuff. I love the way my droid is setup right now but it's just not quick enough for me. I would like to OC my droid to 800Mhz to smooth things out a bit. I don't want to change the way my phone is setup now so my question is if I root will I need to re-setup everything or will everything be the same it is now?

If I do root should I use a custom rom ( I have seen several all over the place) or should I just root and then OC as that is the only thing I am realy interested in anyway.

What are your thoughts on this (and please remember I'm totaly new to all of this).

Justic....

I was in the same boat as you when I woke up this morning and just decided to do it. I used the easiest method out their and went with the sholesmod that you just download from the market place. Very easy to understand instructions. You will also need to downolad setcpu, so when you are done rooting your phone with the sholes ap, just open setcpu and set your profiles for how fast you want to OC.

I have never rooted, or OC'ed anything in my life and in half an hour I was done. I had spent the last 3 weeks reading through these threads trying to decide if it was worth it...and now having done so the answer is a resounding "HELL YEAH". I don't so much notice a speed increase going through the home pages or scrolling through my aps-mine was pretty fast before. But I do notice a big difference scrolling through web pages and the biggest thing has been scrolling through maps while in satellite mode. Much faster. I didn't get how the screen transitions were supposed to work, but that I see them in action, everything is just much smoother and polished. Much how I remember my Iphone that I had for about a month before getting rid of it because of crappy phone signal and coverage.

Just do it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
DO IT SISSY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Root Your Droid

lol, just kidding (about the sissy) but you should do it. As long as you take your time and follow the directions it's nearly impossible to screw up (aka brick) your phone. In fact I have YET to see a truly bricked device in 5 forums that I monitor.:icon_ banana:

Personally follow the above post/site or another method... don't waste your money on the sholes updater... 1) there's no reason to pay for something you can do for free 2) there's other (and arguably better) ROMs than sholes so learn how to do things for yourself.

jzgilbert

Reaction score
I had a quick question in regards to rooting when 2.1 may be supposedly coming out soon. If your phone is rooted will you be missing out on anything if it is released, and/or will there be more benefits to rooting after 2.1 or anything like that? Or just root now and don't worry about it? lol

SANhacker

Reaction score
1) there's no reason to pay for something you can do for free
2) there's other (and arguably better) ROMs than sholes so learn how to do things for yourself.

+1 (Does that make it #3 ?)
Take your time in the Droid Hacks section and do a lot of reading. Once you understand what a Nandroid Backup is, there is no reason to turn back ! :)

joeymoose

Reaction score
+1, Do it yourself so you can learn what you are doing for future hacking, modding....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question in regards to rooting when 2.1 may be supposedly coming out soon. If your phone is rooted will you be missing out on anything if it is released, and/or will there be more benefits to rooting after 2.1 or anything like that? Or just root now and don't worry about it? lol

Nothing that won't (or isn't already) be found in a cooked ROM... plus there is a VERY REAL likelihood that once the 2.1OTA is released that we will loose the ability to root. Well, it's almost positive, so the real question becomes 1) if hackers will gain the ability again (note the Eris STILL has NOT been hacked) and 2) IF rooted will you be able to unroot (though the Nexus can be rooted you can NOT unroot afterwards) loosing this ability (which we currently have) would mean that should you be forced to return/exchange the phone you would have to destroy it first (since being rooted technically voids the warranty).

There's a TON of reasons to root now and very few (if any) legit reasons not to root. Just go slow and take your time. And again these guides are some of the simplest and best laid out/organized you'll find:
Root Your Droid

And yes, most (though not everyone) will agree BB is one of (if not the) best right now:
http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=1553

OP
justicw

justicw

Reaction score
THANK YOU EVERYONE!! I'm on my way to the hack section to start reading up on this stuff. I am going to go ahead and hack this thing. I LOVE my droid the way it is but it is a bit lagy when using some of the apps I have. My favorite app is droid armory you wouldn't belive how many heads I have turned with that single app. My co-worker got an android based phone JUST for that one single app lol. BUT its just a bit lagy when doing 3d mode so I wanted to pump it up a bit AND wanted the response time to increase when switching from app to app.

ALL of you where very helpfull and thats why I keep coming back.