New droid user, ready to root, have some questions though.

the_existentialist

Reaction score
Hey I just got a droid yesterday and I want to install 2.1. I have done some research and found a great how-to here. Its very important for me to have the ability to wifi tether with my mac. I have noticed people mentioning the lack of a launcher and was not sure what is meant by that. Do I need a launcher? I also am curious as to peoples reactions regarding roms. I have read and found bugless beast to be stable and effective. What exactly does a rom offer me that the original phone does not. Appreciate everyones input and thanks.

joeymoose

Reaction score
Pretty much all the ROMs have a app called Wifi Tether, which you can connect to with any computer that is wifi enabled. There are so many options to list with Rooting and Custom Rom's... Pete's BB is my fav...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey I just got a droid yesterday and I want to install 2.1. I have done some research and found a great how-to here. Its very important for me to have the ability to wifi tether with my mac. I have noticed people mentioning the lack of a launcher and was not sure what is meant by that. Do I need a launcher? I also am curious as to peoples reactions regarding roms. I have read and found bugless beast to be stable and effective. What exactly does a rom offer me that the original phone does not. Appreciate everyones input and thanks.
I'm glad you want to root, it's a great thing and I love my rooted droid. You might want to read up on things first and be familiar with things like Launcher. Different ROM's have different launcher choices. I would highly recommend you start with DroidMod 1.0 and it will automate the root process for you. Once you get your feet wet with a rooted droid, overclocking, etc.then start trying out Smoked Glass, Bugless, or my personal favorite, Black Droid 5.5. DroidMod 1.0 is a very nice ROM too, and it and all the ones mentioned have wifi tethering. Good luck.

joeymoose

Reaction score
You will understand Everything about your Droid if you root it yourself, DroidMod is a great suggestion but if your anything like me you will want to know and understand everything about Rooting and customization... My 2 Cents...

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
im liking adamz smoked glass rom right now :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Welcome and congratulations on purchasing a Droid.

I use a Mac. I rooted using Matth3W's (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html) process. Once your rooted and install a rom steps 49 through 53 will allow you to tether. I can tether my Mac Book Pro with my Droid.

Mike

jbernard703

Reaction score
Do it. Pick a guide, read it over a few times, read the comments and then go for it. You will not regret it.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And welcome to Droid Land, the_existentialist! Glad you've decided to join us!