new contract woes

apl3

Reaction score
Well seems Costco has the D3 for $99. My contract is renewed in three weeks. I called Costco to see if they would do an early upgrade. They will not and told me to call Verizon as sometimes they allow it. Well I called Verizon and talked to one person and was told that wasnt possible to push it forward three weeks. So the 64 thousand dollar question is should I try to call Verizon again and talk to someone else or wait the three weeks. I would like to save money with the Costco deal.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
How long you been with VZW?? If a long time customer and in good standing keep asking to talk to someone higher up. And tell them you'll walk when your contracts up. That will usually do it.

end of line...

nikecar

Reaction score
If you are on a 2yr contract, are you three weeks shy of two years or three weeks shy of 20months?

You are allowed to upgrade at discounted price at 20 months into your 24 month contract.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
A

apl3

Reaction score
I am 3 weeks shy of 2 years. I have been with verizon when they were called Bell Atlantic.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I worked for VZW, if you were within a month of upgrade, and you had a nice pay history, low maintenance (not calling every other day), and were nice on the phone and NOT threatening to leave, I would normally allow the upgrade a month early. HOWEVER, from what I'm told from friends still at VZW, they are not allowed to authorize the upgrade unless it is within 2 weeks of your eligibility.

My recommendation is to sit tight for another week and then call them up.

nikecar

Reaction score
When I worked for VZW, if you were within a month of upgrade, and you had a nice pay history, low maintenance (not calling every other day), and were nice on the phone and NOT threatening to leave, I would normally allow the upgrade a month early. HOWEVER, from what I'm told from friends still at VZW, they are not allowed to authorize the upgrade unless it is within 2 weeks of your eligibility.

My recommendation is to sit tight for another week and then call them up.

I just renewed at 21 months. My CED was October 12th or so. My early upgrade was June 12th. I renewed and upgraded at the end of June. My new 2yr CED is June 2x, 2013, and my early upgrade now is Feb 2x, 2013.

You are allowed to upgrade at 20 months.
Verizon changing its upgrade policy; you'll have to wait 20 months for a new phone | Android Central

They got rid of the upgrade pricing after 1 yr.

militant

Reaction score
I pushed verzion into giving me the D3 even though my EARLY upgrade date (the 18 month one) wasn't going to be for another 7 months. I basically threatened to switch to sprint as they will pay half of your cancellation costs, and get a better, newer phone, for less (with a new contract). I tend to have a very good way with words, especially on the phone and talking to people, so that might have helped. But If I could push them into giving me an early upgrade that was over half a year away, 3 weeks should be a walk in the park.

OP
A

apl3

Reaction score
Hmn well my wife said I have 3 weeks turns out its mid September CRAP. Man I really want a D3. Not sure what to do, just wait and see what happens by then or push them for an upgrade. Thing is I have been with them for 10 plus years and never asked for anything. But my OG Droid is showing its age

militant

Reaction score
Hmn well my wife said I have 3 weeks turns out its mid September CRAP. Man I really want a D3. Not sure what to do, just wait and see what happens by then or push them for an upgrade. Thing is I have been with them for 10 plus years and never asked for anything. But my OG Droid is showing its age

Call them up again. The first person you get will say they can't do anything, ask for a supervisor. Tell them your phone is preventing you from using it as a phone (e.g. you are having lots of dropped calls, sometimes it shuts off and wont turn on) anything that prevents your phone from operating as a phone. They will offer you a refurb (or possibly something like a DX), reject that offer. Tell them the only thing that will make you happy is an early upgrade on a D3, or you're walking and going to sprint or AT&T when your contract is up. Hell, you can even threaten to switch to sprint now because they will pay $150 towards your cancellation to switch with them. The only devices Verizon can not give early upgrades on are 4G devices and Iphone devices. The Droid 3's they are practically giving away right now (see: BOGO/price cuts within a few weeks). Keep asking to speak to supervisors of each person you get connected with if they deny your request and eventually they will get tired of talking to you and upgrade you. PM me with your results after calling.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
Yes, call again. I got my D3 on release and wasnt due for an upgrade untill the end of this month. Always remember with vzw, if you dont get what you want the first time, call again. Good luck =)