New Carrier 'Republic Wireless' Coming Nov. 8; Unlimited Voice, Text & Data $19/Month

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know at least the LG Optimus S (or similar) - not a bad phone, but specs similar to the OG Droid with a better GPU... that could be as good as it gets though.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Not a fan that they can boot you from the carrier if you use your cell too much off of wifi. Stream music or a movie on the go and you get warned then potentially booted should you not bring your usage down....

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a fan that they can boot you from the carrier if you use your cell too much off of wifi. Stream music or a movie on the go and you get warned then potentially booted should you not bring your usage down....

It's interesting for sure... I like how they spin it, though - "Membership here is a privilege. So, over time, if you don’t bring your CUI back into a reasonable range, we’ll help you find a more suitable, traditional cellular carrier."

I actually really like the LG Optimus phone - it's an extremely solid mid-range phone. What I'm concerned about is wifi... I'm in a big city, so yeah, I have pretty easy wifi access most of the time. However, I don't like my data to go over public wifi, only my secure home wifi. So if my phone automatically connects to some public wifi hotspot, is it going to default do using that data? I assume so, and to me, that's a pretty big security risk... I don't know anything about VOIP on a public wifi hotspot either, and how secure that is... but that could just be my ignorance.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other interesting thing is that it's likely a 100% vanilla Optimus, and it's 2.3 - I believe the Optimus lineup has yet to officially receive that, and the phone runs really good vanilla on 2.3 (had one on Virgin running CM7).

ntrddragn

Reaction score
im also curious about the safety of using open wifi as there are many articles of data crimes. republic wireless did ask however, which phone do we want next. lets bombard them with the request of the samsung nexus. LOL

ABQNM

Reaction score
My primary concern that I have not seen addressed on the site yet is if and how it will handle hand-offs while in a call. I am hoping that it will be seamless transitions (or nearly seamless).

If I had kids, these would be the phones for them. Smart phone, $19 unlimited, and if you use too much cell usage they warn you and then kick you off after enough warnings.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
There is a company where I am called Revol wireless that is a cheap option for many people. The phones aren't subsidized as much, but there are no contracts and the monthly rates are way cheaper. For me though, the coverage area put me at risk because of where I worked. I suspect that this carrier would be the same way since I work away from the city.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a company where I am called Revol wireless that is a cheap option for many people. The phones aren't subsidized as much, but there are no contracts and the monthly rates are way cheaper. For me though, the coverage area put me at risk because of where I worked. I suspect that this carrier would be the same way since I work away from the city.

Probably so, unless you were allowed to use the same roaming as Sprint, which is highly unlikely... none of the prepaids that piggy back off Sprint can.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i cant find their forum. and i cant buy it lol...when you click im ready, it said to come back since they arent. ha...also wondering about porting my number over if thats possible. i would hate to lose my number since i had for freaking long time.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just got the email...Its a optimus on gingerbread....199 is the total...But I'm able to get it for 99 I believe..because I was one of the first to sign up...Now I'm waiting for the site to update as it says I'm still waiting I sent on the suggestion email about future devices, being the nexus prime or S....

You Juss Been TAPPED! by the drummer...
Another day, yet another flash.....:)
<&mdash;&mdash;Peace!&mdash;&mdash;>

thistle

Reaction score
This is very tempting. Do I understand correctly that if you're in an area with no wifi you have no data access, only standard cell access? Do all of the wifi points have to be manually set up?

If I could get the unit for $99 I might give this a try in parallel with Verizon but not for $199.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is very tempting. Do I understand correctly that if you're in an area with no wifi you have no data access, only standard cell access? Do all of the wifi points have to be manually set up?

If I could get the unit for $99 I might give this a try in parallel with Verizon but not for $199.

I was told for the first signers we only pay 99....

thistle

Reaction score
Well, if it turns out to work fairly well, I don't have a huge issue paying $199 up front but not to beta their technology.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, if it turns out to work fairly well, I don't have a huge issue paying $199 up front but not to beta their technology.

I understand that...I see it like this..Me being into android and repairing and flashing..I would be ahead either way, buying a device for that price...However the changes they made to the hardware would need further investigation. I still think its good as you can't buy a smartphone of this mid class for that price along with a cheap service that I know of... unless ebay or whatever. But its stock gingerbread so its updated and proably has a close to 1ghz proc...I am buying it regardless. If nothing else I have a device to hack the crud out of or give to the kids for 20 a month...lol I hope I don't start an opinion conversation but I would assume the bootloader is unlocked....

ntrddragn

Reaction score
found out their facebook page that yes you can port your number when you sign up.