Leaked Screenshot Shows Republic Wireless to Sell Moto X for $300 OFF Contract

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-on-republic-wireless.png

Here is something strange. A small cell-phone company called Republic Wireless may soon offer the Moto X for only $299 OFF contract. Yes, you read that right. According to a leaked pic of their internal sales literature, the little wireless company will offer an unsubsidized Moto X for only $300 bucks. It's important to note that this will probably not be an unlocked Moto X, thus it will only work on their network. When you factor in their aggressive monthly pricing model of $19-29 per month for unlimited talk, text and data, you start to see a very tempting offer.

republic-wireless-motox-teaser-ad-this-week.jpg

Of course, it's important to take note that the company is so tiny it relies on WiFi networks and Sprint's 3G network for any data connections, so it may not be the best option if you work/travel in areas which do not have WiFi. It's also possible that this is a misprint and the final pricing will be different when it finally comes to retail. Incidentally, this will likely be sometime today or tomorrow if the above ad from Republic Wireless is accurate.

We will keep an eye on this and let you guys know. For folks on a budget, this might be worth investigating.

Source: AndroidPolice via MotoXForums

Aiesline

Reaction score
We've got BIG NEWS today at Republic Wireless. Republic is coming out of Beta and the Motorola Moto X™ smartphone will be on sale soon!
Back in 2011, I personally was paying more than $600 a month in smartphone bills, just for promising my six kids new phones in exchange for straight A's! We started Republic Wireless with a simple mission: to make enjoying the features of a smartphone more affordable and accessible for everyone. We figured, a person's cell phone bill should look more like a lunch tab and less like a mortgage payment-and we've delivered.
One of the things we learned through our Beta over the past 20 months is that our members want both affordable smartphone service and access to high performance devices too. They've loved our simple pricing, and they're hungry for more phone options and newer models.
Starting this November, we'll offer Motorola's incredible new smartphone, the Moto X, a remarkable Wi-Fi and 4G compatible phone with the kind of features that members, like you, have told us they want. We'll offer this phone without a contract at a retail price of $299 ($199 after the Motorola Jelly Bean rebate). When the new phone rolls out, we'll have four new service plans to choose from with rates starting as low as $5 per month. Plus, as a Beta member, you'll get10% off the plan of your choice-forever!
We've learned a ton from our members and we appreciate the thoughtful feedback, constructive criticism and general awesomeness that so many of you have shared in our community, through interactions with our help team, on social media, and in many other forums. Because of you, we're now at a very exciting place in Republic's history-and we've got an amazingly bright future ahead of us.
Thanks for being part of Republic's Beta program. We're excited about the Republic we're building together and we'll continue to learn with conviction, listen intently, and keep getting better for you.
Get All the Details Now
IT'S ON!
David Morken
Co-Founder and CEO
@DavidMorken

Plans...

What are Republic’s new pricing plans?
In November, there will be four new plan options to choose from.

09-2013_PricingChart.jpg

Big Ry

Reaction score
So then if this is true, Motorola and the carriers are screwing everyone over... in which case, I wouldn't want a Moto X

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

tommyg562000

Reaction score
I will definitely give this a test run when they release the moto x. My work and home have strong WiFi so I would be pretty well set.

Aiesline

Reaction score
So then if this is true, Motorola and the carriers are screwing everyone over... in which case, I wouldn't want a Moto X

In the faq for the moto x on republic's site (I'll post those in a minute) It says they are eating the cost of the phone. I got one of their phones for my son when he wanted a smart phone. They run off sprints network.

Aiesline

Reaction score
[h=2]Moto XTM - Just the FAQs, Ma'am[/h]What's the Mission of Republic Wireless?
We started Republic Wireless with a simple mission: to make enjoying the features of a smartphone more affordable and accessible for everyone. Through the power of Wi-Fi Hybrid calling technology, we're able to offer our customers remarkable mobile service plans at unheard of rates. You see, Wi-Fi is cheap and plentiful while cellular (especially data) is more scarce and much more expensive. By relying on our members to use the cheap and plentiful Wi-Fi wherever it's available, we've succeeded in our mission and we're excited about bringing even more remarkable value to our members—with a mind blowing total cost of ownership that will leave them scratching their heads (happily!).

How does it work?
Anything a cell network can do, the Internet can do better and cheaper. A truly smart smartphone should make a habit of using Wi-Fi for everything. Surfing. Texting. Sharing. And, yes, even talking. And you definitely shouldn't have to download any special apps to use Wi-Fi. It should be automatic, built-in. You just use your phone. The beauty of Republic Wireless is Hybrid Calling, which allows you to harness the power of Wi-Fi for calls, texts and data while also having full cellular capabilities.

How much will the Moto X cost?
The Moto X will retail at $299 (plus taxes and surcharges) from the Republic Wireless store. That's right - we took the hot, new Moto X, added Republic's great Hybrid service and priced it at $299 with no contract required. That's a price that's, like, impossible to match anywhere in the industry. How did we do it? The phone is $299 because we are footing the bill. Period. This is NOT a $299 phone. Take a quick look around the web and look at “no contract” pricing for the Moto X.

In the industry this is typically known as a subsidy, but we’ve added a twist. We are bringing down the cost without holding you to a contract. We’re doing this because we have trust in our members…and we have confidence in our product and service. Contracts are inherently built on a lack of trust…and a lack of confidence in your ability to bring your A game every.single.day. We believe in a better way…the way things should be.

When can I order the Moto X?
The Moto X will be available for purchase in the Republic store beginning in November 2013. Sign up now to be notified when our Moto X is available.

Why are you waiting to launch the Moto X until November?
Republic’s Hybrid version (using Wi-Fi + cell technology) of Moto X is undergoing final certification on the Sprint network. When that process is complete, the phone will hit the market on the Republic store. We believe our offer represents huge savings for so many people, and we want them to be aware of their options. There are nearly 400,000 smartphones sold every day in the United States. In our view, that’s 400,000 people that are overpaying and being underserved. So we wanted to announce as soon as we could.

Are you accepting pre-orders for the Moto X?
We are not accepting pre-orders for the Moto X, but you can sign up to be the first to know when the phone is available.

What colors are available? Will I be able to order a customized Moto X phone?
In the initial offering, starting in November, a Moto X purchased through Republic Wireless will be available in your choice of Woven Black or Woven White.

What are the tech specs for the Moto X?

• Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
  • Android™ 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
  • 4G LTE capability
  • 4.7" AMOLED™ 720p HD Touch Display
  • 1.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor with 2GB RAM
  • 16GB Internal Memory
  • Integrated 2200mAh Lithium-ion battery, mixed usage up to 24 hours
  • 1080p HD Video Capture & Playback
  • X8 Mobile Computing System
  • 10 MP Camera w/ Auto-focus and LED Flash, 2 MP Front-Facing Camera
  • Access to thousands of apps through Google Play

Will accessories be available for the Moto X in the Republic Wireless store?
Yes, we will carry accessories for the Moto X such as: headphones, cases, speakers, and screen protectors. Sign up to hear when our new store is open!

What are Republic’s new pricing plans?
In November, there will be four new plan options to choose from.

09-2013_PricingChart.jpg

Which plan is right for me?
$5 Wi-Fi only plan
This is the most powerful tool in your arsenal of options. Why? You can drop your smartphone bill —at will— to $5. If you’re interested in getting serious about cutting costs, you can use this tool to best leverage the Wi-Fi in your life to reduce your phone bill. It’s also the ultimate plan for home base stickers and kids who don’t need a cellular plan. It’s fully unlimited data, talk and text —on Wi-Fi only.

$10 Wi-Fi + Cell Talk & Text
One of our members, 10thdoctor said : “I use WiFi for everything, except when I'm traveling and for voice at my school.” Yep, this is the perfect plan for that. Our members are around Wi-Fi about 90% of the time. During that 10% of the time where you’re away from Wi-Fi, this plan gives you cellular backup for communicating when you need to. This plan both cuts costs and accommodates what’s quickly becoming the norm: a day filled with Wi-Fi.

$25 Wi-Fi + Cell (3G) Talk, Text & Data
Lots of people are on 3G plans today and are paying upwards of $100 a month on their smartphone bills. That’s nuts. This plan is here for you during the times when you need the backup of cell data. For folks who want to surf Facebook and check email in the car (as a passenger!) or who travel regularly for work, this option lets them enjoy all the benefits of Wi-Fi with the luxury of 3G cellular data. You may find you only want this cellular back up part of the month —no problem! Switching during the month to the $5 or $10 plan is easy, and is a great way to keep more money in your wallet.

$40 Wi-Fi + Cell (4G) Talk, Text & Data
We heard you tell us that you wanted a super fast option, so we added this arrow to your quiver. This plan is here for you when you’ve got a road warrior kind of month, and you’ve got a serious need for speed. Have to get work done on a long train ride? And need to work fast? This is your guy. Just like the other plans, it’s just a few clicks away.

Will I be able to switch between plans?
Yes! When you purchase a new Moto X phone, you’ll be able to choose whatever plan you like—and you can also switch plans up to twice per month as your needs change. For example, if you know you’ll be taking a vacation and might require more cell data one week, you can switch to a cell data plan right from your phone and then switch back to a Wi-Fi “friendlier” plan once you return home.

What improvements has Republic made since it launched its last phone, the Motorola DEFY XT?
It was very clear that Wi-Fi to cellular handover, improved call quality, and MMS were critical features for our members —we couldn’t agree more. Where other attempts have failed or abandoned, our team has succeeded —we’ve invented new technology that enables seamless Wi-Fi to cellular handover, vastly improved Wi-Fi call quality, and MMS capabilities as well as some great new features such as visual voicemail (and yes, that will be included in the price. C’mon, did you think we would charge for that?). And most importantly, we’ve built a foundation that we can continue to iterate with our members, and update the experience as we continue to learn.

I’m a current Republic member. Are there any special incentives on purchasing the new service plans?
Yes! Existing Republic members who own or purchase a Motorola DEFY XT on or before Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. EST are eligible for a Beta 10% discount off their new monthly service plan when they purchase the Moto X or any future phones for the lifetime of their relationship with Republic. This discount also applies to any Republic LG Optimus users. Note: The discount doesn’t apply to the entire account, it only applies to each PHONE you upgrade to a new pricing plan. You must be a current Republic member to receive this discount. Sign up to be the first to know when the Moto X and our new plans are available!

I’m a current Motorola DEFY XT Republic member. Are there any special incentives on purchasing the Moto X?
Yes. If you own a Motorola DEFY XT purchased through Republic (or any other provider, for that matter), you are eligible for Motorola’s $100 Jelly Bean Rebate, which comes in the form of a prepaid Visa card to those who make a qualified purchase of a Moto X phone. To get the rebate, you must provide Motorola with proof of purchase of your new Moto X and mail in your DEFY XT.

I’m a current LG Optimus Republic member. Are there any special incentives on purchasing the Moto X?
Yes. If you are a current Republic member with a LG Optimus, you are eligible for a $100 automatic credit towards the purchase of the Moto X at the Republic Wireless store.

Will there still be a 30-day money back guarantee?
Yes, there will be a 30-day money back guarantee on any new phone purchases.

I'm ready. I'm excited. Now what do I do?
Sign up and be the first to know when our Moto X is available! You can also Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to be in the know on all things Republic Wireless.

Big Ry

Reaction score
OK so they eat the cost. That makes since then. Do they require monthly payments though? What's to stop someone from getting the X on a $5 plan, then just dropping the account?

I really don't get the Wi-Fi thing. You can get apps that do this on the market. $40 4G is more like a plan. Unlimited Wi-Fi is just ripping people off.

Aiesline

Reaction score
You have the exact same information I do at this point. Your speculations are as good as mine.