Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
But how do I get a different ROM installed after I do the backup?

Always make a backup before flashing a rom.

Download a rom with your pc, then transfer it to your sd. Just remember where you placed it. Using bootstrapper, boot into recovery and flash it through clockwork.

You can use your phone to download a rom, it's just not as reliable as a pc. If you go that route, wifi is the best way.

Swyped from a Droid

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
these 2 posts have some very good info and that link looks pretty solid. I can say I know CJM knows his info cause he has helped me many times. You can see different roms by looking at the link below also. Personally i love Liberty v2.0.1 because it is very stable and has a good support team behind it. Might want to give that a look. One more lil thing is you might want to just read about each rom and look at screenshots of how each rom looks. Only reason i say that is because each rom has different qualities kinda like each rom has its on personality. With liberty for the most part there is always someone willling to help in the Liberty ROM subforum. Cant say enough for their support.

Liberty rom has the new Gingerbread themes along with many other themes ill post up a screen shot of what mine looks like for you and the link to the roms is below.

Droid 2 Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Liberty ROM D2 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

OP
G

gumbocha

Reaction score
Will the new ROM (Fission, for instance) allow me to use my phone without installing any other apps? Like, will I have a dialer and an app to load contacts, etc?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh yea your dialer and contacts messaging and browser will always be there. Im using an alternate launcher called "Launcher Pro+". There are a lot of diff home launchers out there but you can search "launchers" in the market and you should come up with a few. Launcher pro has good support yet again cause i have contacted the developer before and have gotten same day replies. Installing a rom can be fun and addicting once you start really understanding how to do it.

All in all yes you will have a dialer, contacts, messaging, and browser.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its really no problem. Im hear to help out the best i can. Wish i could get some of that amazing Cajun food in the mail. If I ever stop through Louisiana goin on a vacation sometime i might have to take up an offer on some original gumbo. never heard of Boudin tho. Also just keep us posted if you have questions along the way with getting it installed. Also we are here to help you customize that android of yours to make it a one of a kind when you get to that haha

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Boudin sounds like southern food on steroids. Might have to try to cook some of that cause I dont know when my vacation will come lol

OP
G

gumbocha

Reaction score
OK, I've read the links you sent, and thanks. The processes are starting to come together in my head. A question: I have the R2D2. Do the same procedures apply for the R2D2 as those for the Droid 2?

I am rooted. I know that because I was able to accomplish the SU command in a terminal emulator and got to the "#" prompt.

So, if I want to replace the R2D2 "look" with, say, Fission, or some other ROM (do you recommend anything?), what do I do next?

I feel so ignorant, and thanks in advance if you can help.
I did the backup via Rom Manager. Felt good. Phone still works!!!!

congo

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Im in the same boat as gumbocha. I've read the posts but this is my first smart phone and im just not getting it. I guess I just want my r2d2 to look like a droid 2 and still have no idea how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
@gumbocha: congrats on the successful back up boss. Now your ready to find that ROM that catches your attention and suits your needs. The back up part i believe to be the longest part. just post any problems you may have while finding/installing a new ROM and we will try to get it resolved for ya.

@congo: if you follow the posts and the links you should be fine with the r2d2. Most of the links are linked to guides and some helpful info.