New as of this day.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by gumbocha, May 2, 2011.

1. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

I'm from southeastern Louisiana (yes, I am a Cajun). I bought my R2D2 becuase my son said it was "cool". And it is. But I don't like the beeps, peeps, boops and whirrrs of the theme. I am here to learn how to remove and replace the R2D2 theme. However, my research at this site has led me to learn much about the Droid OS and its capabilities. I have enjoyed reading so far.

By the way, the info and definitions (SBF, Rooting, Bootstraping, ROM, all those arcane, mysterious phrases) seem to be scattered all over the place (or perhaps it's my lack of experience). I guess my question is "Does anyone in this forum have an organized, start to finish, "if...then", guide that includes all of these processes?

I love this site, but I am an old man. Please don't be to hard on me if I err.

Thanks to all,
    gumbocha
  2. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

Welcome to the community. Glad to see ya joined us from LA. Ill post a link or two below and hopefully they can help you out. Feel free to ask any questions along the way and join in on any conversations. Dive on in and make yourself at home.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

My Brain Hurts: Droid X Recovery (and Droid 2 too!)

Droid Den - Android Rooting: A Glossary of Terms - Droid Den
  3. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, 252chevyboyz. Will be checking your kind postings shortly.

gumbocha
  4. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

Aint a problem Gum. Just post back with any questions and I think we should be able to help you out here in the community.
  5. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

Great!!

Exactly what I was looking for!!!!!! Will be absorbing this info tonight.

Many thanks,
    gumbocha
  6. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

Glad the info could help out with a few questions you may have
  7. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

:welcome: to the forum. I've known some people from Covington. Its not that far away from Biloxi.
    Taking your time and understanding the processes will make it a lot easier. Dont be shy, ask if you need help.
  8. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA
  9. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

Thanks to Hawaiian Princess

Merci beaucoup, as we say in Cajun country.
  10. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

Thanks, CJM. My inlaws lived in Diamondhead.
  11. CJM

Small world. Back in the day, we spent many weekend nights in Metairie at Sharky's and stumbling down Bourbon Street. Enjoy the forum.

Swyped from a Droid
  12. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

Small world, indeed. I played guitar on Bourbon Street back when Moses had diaper rash, or so it seems.
  13. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

OK, I've read the links you sent, and thanks. The processes are starting to come together in my head. A question: I have the R2D2. Do the same procedures apply for the R2D2 as those for the Droid 2?

I am rooted. I know that because I was able to accomplish the SU command in a terminal emulator and got to the "#" prompt.

So, if I want to replace the R2D2 "look" with, say, Fission, or some other ROM (do you recommend anything?), what do I do next?

I feel so ignorant, and thanks in advance if you can help.
  14. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

ClockWork Mod Recovery would be a good idea to install. You can install this through the free version of "Rom Manager". Also might want to look at an app called "Droid Bootstrapper". "Droid Overclock" is a great app for overclocking/underclocking the CPU but that IMO. I do believe for the r2d2 the processes are the same as the regular D2 (someone correct me if im wrong).

Just make sure you back up your current ROM via Clockwork Recovery. You can do this by: downloading (free version)Rom Manger>open app>Click "flash ClockworkMod Recovery">once it has flashed on your phone a reboot isnt a bad idea>Finally open up the app again and click "Backup Current ROM".

The phone should back up the current ROM and then reboot. When it reboots the phone will prolly boot into Recovery and a tip in recovery mode is below. Once it reboots into recovery just click "reboot" and it will reboot itself with a brand new backup file of your current ROM. You always need a back up of the stock rom because if something ever happens to your phone you will be able flash the stock recovery file and right back to stock.

(TIP: to scroll through the recovery mode options use the volume buttons and to choose a choice in recovery use the camera button.)

Post back if you have any questions or if I left anything out.
  15. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

OK, Chevy, I downloaded and installed Clockwork Recovery. But I haven't used it yet. Your instructions apply to backing up my current ROM, so my phone should look and behave the same as always. But how do I get a different ROM installed after I do the backup? I heard things about Fission, Froyo, etc. What good, flexible ROM what you recommend and where would I get it?

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks many times over.
  16. CJM

Always make a backup before flashing a rom.

Download a rom with your pc, then transfer it to your sd. Just remember where you placed it. Using bootstrapper, boot into recovery and flash it through clockwork.

You can use your phone to download a rom, it's just not as reliable as a pc. If you go that route, wifi is the best way.

Swyped from a Droid
  17. boddah

boddah New Member

18. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

these 2 posts have some very good info and that link looks pretty solid. I can say I know CJM knows his info cause he has helped me many times. You can see different roms by looking at the link below also. Personally i love Liberty v2.0.1 because it is very stable and has a good support team behind it. Might want to give that a look. One more lil thing is you might want to just read about each rom and look at screenshots of how each rom looks. Only reason i say that is because each rom has different qualities kinda like each rom has its on personality. With liberty for the most part there is always someone willling to help in the Liberty ROM subforum. Cant say enough for their support.

Liberty rom has the new Gingerbread themes along with many other themes ill post up a screen shot of what mine looks like for you and the link to the roms is below.

Droid 2 Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Liberty ROM D2 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
  19. gumbocha

gumbocha New Member

Will the new ROM (Fission, for instance) allow me to use my phone without installing any other apps? Like, will I have a dialer and an app to load contacts, etc?
  20. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

oh yea your dialer and contacts messaging and browser will always be there. Im using an alternate launcher called "Launcher Pro+". There are a lot of diff home launchers out there but you can search "launchers" in the market and you should come up with a few. Launcher pro has good support yet again cause i have contacted the developer before and have gotten same day replies. Installing a rom can be fun and addicting once you start really understanding how to do it.

All in all yes you will have a dialer, contacts, messaging, and browser.