Breaking News New 8.1 Feature: forgetting your screen lock will brick your device

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Qb1htux.png

Reddit user /u/TomBolger is reporting on Reddit that a new "FEATURE" of Android 8.1 that makes Factory Reset Protection even stronger. Previously, after a Factory Reset, you would be asked to login to your Google account if you did not remove said account prior to the wipe. Now, with 8.1 this has been changed and you will be prompted for your "previously used secret" (your pin code, password or pattern that you use to bypass your lock screen). The image above was the error he received after he tried to reflash and go back to 8.0. The end result after contacting Google for support? He has to RMA it. Yes, his phone is now bricked because he does not know his 'secret'?
Is this really common though? Have you ever forgotten a pin / pass / pattern?

SOURCE: REDDIT

Last edited:

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Qb1htux.png

Reddit user /u/TomBolger is reporting on Reddit that a new "FEATURE" of Android 8.1 that makes Factory Reset Protection even stronger. Previously, after a Factory Reset, you would be asked to login to your Google account if you did not remove said account prior to the wipe. Now, with 8.1 this has been changed and you will be prompted for your "previously used secret". The image above was the error he received after he tried to reflash and go back to 8.0. The end result after contacting Google for support? He has to RMA it. Yes, his phone is now bricked because he does not know his 'secret'?
Is this really common though? Have you ever forgotten a pin / pass / pattern?

SOURCE: REDDIT
So, the "Secret" is what? Your PIN number, or what?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Pin Code / Pattern / Password. Whatever method you use to secure your lock screen.
(edited original post for clarity)

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Security is a double-edged sword; it cuts both ways.

What's annoying is what if the software is malfunctioning and doesn't afford the user the option to change settings or remove accounts before resetting?

Also, store reps for the major carriers aren't always up to par with this type of intelligence so it's likely this issue could inadvertently be triggered by them.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Security is a double-edged sword; it cuts both ways.

What's annoying is what if the software is malfunctioning and doesn't afford the user the option to change settings or remove accounts before resetting?

Also, store reps for the major carriers aren't always up to par with this type of intelligence so it's likely this issue could inadvertently be triggered by them.

I totally agree. security for most devices are becoming a pain. even at work, they require password changes every 60 days and you can always walk through the different departments and find the new password taped to the computer, under the keyboard, in the top desk draw just so they can be remembered.

phones are even more vulnerable because of all the different security features in them from iris scans to drawing lines. then there is that all important pen number that don't get used often because of the other security features so it is forgotten. sure would hate to brick a phone out of warranty.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i call bs! google will be swamped with a million bricked phones just from kids playing with their parents devices. so before it goes live it will disappear.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can see where this would be useful for the Enterprise world where a brick phone for them is cheaper than last information.

Hopefully this will be a feature that can be toggled. Because you guys are right, all it takes is a store rep not knowing that and they cause it to go into brick mode or kids playing with the phone and triggering the brick.
Good idea but the execution of said idea is going to be important.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Malkavian

Reaction score
Doesn't the current Android 7.0 require you to put your passcode in when you restart? Or are they talking about another passcode?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nope. Same one. Or pattern. Or password. Whatever you use.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Wow, security tightening all around in the computer world. It should prompt you before factory reset that you should remove account and or lock if you want it to be an open device again . Ie for a trade.
I guess they are protecting if your Google pw was compromised maybe they could allow it to work if you authorized the reset from a trusted device that had 2 factory auth on or Google authenticator. But that would add allot more complexity to some it sounds like they made more complex. Catch 22

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Nope. Same one. Or pattern. Or password. Whatever you use.

I have a old phone still listed on my Google account that I don't have anymore. It lists as unreachable and I have selected remove device and erase device but it still shows under find my Android.
How can I permanently remove it from my Google account?

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
delete it from the play store.
When logged into Android manager there is no way to delete. Where would I delete it in play store?