Breaking News New 8.1 Feature: forgetting your screen lock will brick your device

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
So, the "Secret" is what? Your PIN number, or what?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
So if you forget your pin and type it wrong ten it will factory reset and it will keep asking for the same pin? And your phone will be fully bricked. Is this confirmed? I thought factory reset removed data and pin? I would rather have it be a Google pw recover option that Google could help with. Is this documented anywhere in Google

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When logged into Android manager there is no way to delete. Where would I delete it in play store?

I'm not sure if you can remove a phone from ADM from the website. I think when you remove the Google account from the phone that process automatically removes the phone from the ADM list of active devices on your account. I only see two devices when looking at my ADM list, my phone and my tablet. The dozens of phones I used to use do not appear in the list; probably because I removed my Google account before resetting the phones. That's using the ADM site on my laptop. And I don't see an option in the Play Store to remove a device, but will keep looking.

Where is the phone that shows up in your list of devices? Did you sell it, or do you still have it in your possession?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
There was away to remove phones before. I know, I did it. I thought it was in Play.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When logged into Android manager there is no way to delete. Where would I delete it in play store?

We have really navigated this thread off topic, but I think I found how to make the phone not appear on the Android Device Manager / Find My Phone screen. This does not remove the Google account from the phone, just makes it not appear in the list of registered devices. On a PC / computer open Google Play > Click the gear symbol (menu) > On the E mail and My Devices screen click Edit next to the desired device > unselect the Show In Menus option > click Update. When you go back to the Android Device Manager / Find My Phone screen that device will no longer appear in the list.

Now let's get this thread back on track and discuss the new Android 8.1 Lock Screen settings & functionality. :cool:

Google Play Device Settings.PNG

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I have never removed my Google account before doing an FDR in the past, but after reading this thread it seems to be a good idea. If there are other accounts active, like Dropbox, Amazon Prime, etc, on the phone, do you remove those as well before an FDR?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have never removed my Google account before doing an FDR in the past, but after reading this thread it seems to be a good idea. If there are other accounts active, like Dropbox, Amazon Prime, etc, on the phone, do you remove those as well before an FDR?

I don't remove those and have had no problems. I started removing my Google account before a FDR about a year ago when Google changed some of the security policies about signing back into the phone after a factory reset.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I bought a phone off Swappa when my Turbo wouldn't work in my car. Seller did not remove his account before FDR'ing. And this was on Nougat. It wouldn't let me set it up until I verified his Google account.
Luckily he was very cool (and so sorry). We got into a Google Hangout. He temporarily changed his Google password. Gave it to me. I logged in and removed the account. Then reset it again.
Yea, moral of the story...remove your account always...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think Google changed the security rules about FDR and passwords long before Nougat. If you are doing a FDR on your own phone because of issues, or time for a clean up, etc and signing back in with the same Google account & same password then I don't think there are any issues. But yes....when you sell a phone or give to someone else to use, or buy a used phone...always remove the Google account before a factory reset.

I factory reset my work phone last month because of issues and did not remove the Google account because I knew I was signing back in with the eexact said credentials and had no issues.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Could have been M. V20.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I think Google changed the security rules about FDR and passwords long before Nougat. If you are doing a FDR on your own phone because of issues, or time for a clean up, etc and signing back in with the same Google account & same password then I don't think there are any issues. But yes....when you sell a phone or give to someone else to use, or buy a used phone...always remove the Google account before a factory reset.

I factory reset my work phone last month because of issues and did not remove the Google account because I knew I was signing back in with the eexact said credentials and had no issues.

I was trying to remove device administrators in an old phone so I could trade the phone in and it gave error, so the trick is to go into accounts on phone and remove Google account to and that will get rid of device administrator?
Did Google post any official instructions on how to for a phone. In my experience an far alone the device stays in the cloud and is accessible by desktop browser but no way to remove account in cloud and unociate device from the cloud. I saw some posts about holding power and sound to an far if you forget your pin but I guess that doesn't remove Google account either. Google must have this documented I hope somewhere