New Auto Brick Feature Built Into Stock Andorid AOSP!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google has finally done it! They have added the feature that we have all been waiting for into Android. Now you can easily brick your device thanks to some helpful code added by Google to Android. Why might you want to brick your phone you ask. Well that is a good question.

Google has been making strides as of late when it comes to security on Android devices. They have started rolling out security patches once per month which patches up exploits hackers could use to gain access to your phone and data. They have also added a Factory Reset Protection feature that asks for your last used Google login information if someone factory resets your device in hopes of using it or selling it.

The Factory Reset Protection has been kind of a joke. RootJunky has figured out ways of bypassing FRP on just about every phone with just about every update. Every time Google releases an update they attempt to patch the hole found by Tom, but he just finds another.

Google has finally decided to add an option to brick your phone into AOSP. This feature could be activated remotely via Android Device Manager. Ideally if you notice your phone has been stolen and you know you have sensitive private information you can brick the device. Not only will data be wiped, but the thief won't be able to use the phone. This is quite clever if you ask me.

What do you think about this new feature? Do you find it useful or do you see this as a potential problem?

via Android

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh the posts I can see coming now. There will almost certainly be exploited somehow and result in phones being bricked either unintentionally by the consumer or intentionally by hackers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could certainly see it as a worthwhile feature for the enterprise clients that Google wishes to attract, I'll say that much. For me a remote wipe and Samsung's reset blocking is enough, but I could see the appeal of this in certain situations.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
If you brick it and then discover it wasn't stolen but you dropped it in your car etc, I wonder if you can undo it or is it a paperweight forever.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's good but it won't return the phone to its owner

Go low tech if you want the device returned to you. I just put a little note on the body of the phone that says, "if found, please contact blah blah blah. I will give you $50 for your trouble". Since the phone has a case on it, the note doesn't show.

I like this bricking idea, just make a utility that can connect to the phone, and unbrick the device based on the Google account specified. This utility will do the following:

1. Verify the serial number (or some unique identifier) of the device
2. Compare the serial number with the one that is on file with Google
3. Offer to load the stock Android image (or OEM image) on your device once their is a match

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you brick it and then discover it wasn't stolen but you dropped it in your car etc, I wonder if you can undo it or is it a paperweight forever.
No, if they want it to be bricked, it will be a permanent brick hence my point. I can see this backfiring.

GAstorino

Reaction score
Oh the posts I can see coming now. There will almost certainly be exploited somehow and result in phones being bricked either unintentionally by the consumer or intentionally by hackers.

Was going to say exact thing you beat me to it.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I don't know if I would use this now, but it sure would have been helpful when my 1st Note 4 was stolen in December

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I certainly hope they leave the current "Lock" and "Factory Wipe" features in Android Device Manager when they add the new "Brick" feature. That way, if you think your phone was stolen but are not 100% sure just use the current Factory Wipe option. If you find it later, just re-activate it and set it up again. No harm no foul. The theif could do the same thing also, but at least your personal data is gone. If you are 100% certain that your phone was stolen, then use the new "Brick" feature and the thief would never be able to use the phone. I used the Factory Wipe feature when my daughter's phone was stolen at school, and it was a releif to know that her personal data was wiped. I reported the phone as stolen and Verizon said it could never be used again (on their network). It would have been fun to brick the phone at that point just as a "gotcha!" right back at the thief!

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
When mine was stolen, I wasn't able to do a factory wipe. The phone had been turned off.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When mine was stolen, I wasn't able to do a factory wipe. The phone had been turned off.

The way I understand Android Device Manager is even if the phone is off, you send the Factory Wipe command from the ADM website. The next time that phone turns on, ADM will Factory Wipe it.