Netflix CEO Warns that a Price Increase is Coming in the Future

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 16, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Most of the time, the news we get to report is pretty cool. Unfortunately, sometimes we "get" to report the bad news too. Today we are faced with that task again. Without giving any specifics, Netflix' CEO Reed Hastings announced to investors that the company plans to "carefully push" consumers toward a higher price model in the coming years.

This is executive parlance for "we are going to raise prices." Here's a quote with more of the details,

Hmmm... whether consumers take kindly to these eventual price increases depends on how large they will be. Netflix has been creating some solid unique content lately, and they plan to spend $1 Billion or more on new shows next year, so perhaps it will be worth it. It also sounds like they will roll out these higher prices a very slow rate, so perhaps it won't be too bad. Discuss your point of view.

Source: The Guardian

2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Sounds reasonable to me. I've been paying the same price for years and I'll be more than happy to pay an extra dollar or two over the next decade, just so long as they continue releasing great ad-free content. 75-80% of all our tv viewing these days is through Netflix. We've found dozens of series, just over the past year alone, that we would have never found otherwise.
    With all of their exclusive content, including more and more 5.1HD and 4K programming being offered, Netflix continues to knock it out of the park IMO.

S5 tap'n

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,207
    Over the next decade to me sounds like they are hoping to achieve like a full new release experience. If I could get all the movies as soon as they come out on DVD I'd be happy to pay $25 a month. I would be happy to pay $75 a month if they could stream movies from the theater.

• Like Like x 1
  4. realged13

realged13 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I have no problem with this. They've managed to keep the price reasonable for a long time. I just wish they had some newer content and would be fine with a $10-15 increase if that was the cost.

5. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Oh you can bet the day will come that when a film is released in theatre's you'll be able to get it at home as well. Whether its Netflix or some other competitor, I'm certain those days are coming.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    They've actually already had movies like that a few years ago..they were available on dtv ppv the same day they were released in theaters...as I recall it was some animated movie...because my son just had to see it...

7. shockracer

shockracer Active Member

Ratings:
    +184
    What they offer and continue to offer more and more with zero price increases for me. I would gladly pay a little more! It seems they are trying there hardest to keep from increasing prices, I applaud them for that!

8. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    I'm talking about all the films seeing a Theatrical release not just a few obscure ones. Blockbusters and all....

• Like Like x 1
  9. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    I follow..every movie ..released to the home viewing audience at the same time as the theatre audience...I bet that'd increase their revenue..I hate going to theatres . so I'd definitely be all in..

• Like Like x 1
  10. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    That will not happen anytime soon, as movie houses have deals with the movie studios, and the movie studios will not go for it.

11. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    I'm not fine with this. They have a pretty poor selection to begin with. Even if they add more of their own in house productions it won't be enough to justify charging more for a library full of B movies.

They are still being charged for the now illegal fast lanes on the internet. We will foot the bill.

12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    So would a lot of people. But you have to realize MANY people still fork over $15+ for a movie ticket, $20+ for the DVD, and even about $6 for the OnDemand. The economics of the model you suggested will never work because the studios would lose tens of millions on each of the popular movies..

What I would like to see is the option to watch a new movie in theaters on Netflix for $15, or to stream popular new releases for $6 like I do thru my cable OnDemand.