Verizon CEO Discusses Unlimited Data, Pricing and More at Investor's Conference

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Dear Mr. CEO:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  2. maomao

maomao New Member

I am seething. Verizon, better coverage? What coverage? I've had VZW since 12.22.1998? Okay, it's 14 years this December. Now I live in a hood with Frontier landlines - it was VZW! The reception is crap to be way too nice. I have phone calls go to call history sans the phone ever ringing. I've had times when I have no phone signal and I get a message that there's no phone network but I can call emergency services - really? The wifi is so bad sometimes the RAZR will turn it off on its own. So the 4G, 3G and wifi are all garbage. About 10 days into this Billing cycle I was to about 3 gig and I was being conservative usage wise. Which was screwing me since I'm job hunting.

I would LOVE to change companies but since my speed is guaranteed to go from crap to parvo puppy poop on purpose after 2 or 2.5 gig of data with all the cheaper companies - I just want to scream.

Has anyone used network extenders? Do they work? I mean are they cost effective? I read some reviews that were awful. Tell me anyone except VZW builds and sells them, Please.

"Security is always excessive until it's not enough." —*Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, Country Energy, NSW AUS
    Sent from my DROID RAZR via Droid Forums
  3. sharkattack99

sharkattack99 Member

I would be happier with Verizon if they would have left the ppl with unlimited data alone "grandfather" and just did the share everything crap to the new customers. If it wasn't for Verizons great network I woukd have switched. So know I have to pay full price for my phones kinda sucks. Cause the share everything would cost me way more money. Its just ridiculous.

They just wanted more money thought hey ppl are using lots of data lets drop the unlimited and start charging for tiered data so we make more. Ya I know a company has to make money but how much is to much profit and at the cost of what ya know.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 2!
  4. Amagine

Amagine Member

Most of this is incorrect. Verizon especially has spent untold BILLIONS on backhaul support. I work for a Fiber optic provider that, for the last 3 years done quite a lot of work for most of the big three. In order to haul back to the exchanges, they have been moving towers from reams and reams of traditional copper circuits to fiber optic networks. Honestly, there have been times I have been :mad:, but one thing I can tell you is that Verizon is hardly sitting on its laurels when it comes to bandwidth.
    Some of the last LTE backhaul projects we won bids for are now wrapping up. Some of the first markets are already on to upgrade paths, bigger circuits, additional fiber and such. LTE-A is already on the table. That all comes at a cost. While I prefer having Unlimited data, I also know Bandwidth is mathematically limited. You can't cram 100 phones asking for 1 meg files at the same second on a 50 mb/sec circuit, just for an analogy.

I personally have been looking at other cell companies as I know the grandfather clause will soon phase out. I hate to say it but the devil that is the CEO of Verizon is right. ATT is at least a year behind. Sprint might be able to catch up faster than 3 years but, still they are behind.

Their tactics on phones aren't the only place they have been tight on. You should see my calendar for Verizon network freezes (areas that I can't make changes to the fiber route as it might take them down for .0001 seconds). Looks like a calendar in baseball season :icon_eek:. They stop their own builds for MAJOR circuits any time an iPhone comes out. Not even ATT used to do that.

I hate Verizon and Verizon knows that everyone hates them. But on this side of the business they basically print money. Until they hit a wall as far as customer service. Which I suspect will be in a few years, this is what we have to put up with as consumers.
  5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

So what you're saying is my market could be suffering from sudden craptactic data signals because they are upgrading? The level 3 tech did say her computer shows "Alltel cleanup" going on in my area. She said the field tech called back and says there wasn't a problem that hasn't always existed. If that is so why wouldn't they just say they're improving things, sorry for the mess right now" instead of telling me the cell I was connected to for the last 3 years at my house, until a couple of weeks ago , never existed and the sudden drops at former excellent cell areas aren't a figment of my imagination, that I never had excellent speeds and ability, and the screen shots I provided to the level 3 rep are not real according to the field tech?

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Notetoo
  6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I wouldn't really call most of what I said false, but merely as you point out 1 thing out of what I was talking about. They have stated before that unlimited data hurts their network, but with the 96%ish that they claim only use 2GB of data, having them stay on unlimited would not have mattered. They tried to claim that "well why pay for data you aren't using" so now they charge just as much for a 2GB data plan as they did for for having an unlimited plan pretty much. So now they can claim you do pay for the data you use. The way the phones work for large companies with the subsidies is true, and needs to go away. They need to start offering lower price plans for people who either are no longer on their contract or they bought their phone outright. The whole reason for slightly higher priced plans was to recoup the money of the phones, and i completely understand that and it's ok, except once I get off of the contract I have paid full price for my phone, so any month to month I pay after that contract is actually more then I should be paying because i'm no longer paying for the recoup of the phone. Lastly the bucket plans were truly never meant to help anyone out except the companies pocketbooks, not only that but if they switch over phone calls to VoIP, the data is pretty much the only thing we will be using, and then it's even more data.
  7. Amagine

Amagine Member

With LTE, there really isn't a voice circuit. LTE-A will have it pretty much VoIP-ish. Also part of the reason most companies switched to unlimited talk/text is because they knew once the government's reports about minutes and texts costing companies .000001 cent to transmit would land them in some pretty hefty fines or lawsuits. Moving everything over to IP traffic would easily give them a reason to stay that they need to charge for more bandwidth.

As I said, it's only a matter of time. Bills to allow unlocked phones on any network are coming down the pike and LTE is only going to make it easier. They know this. I don't think Verizon's dominate network will be a thought in a couple years and the market will once again return to a price war for service.
  8. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Right....That is why I wouldn't ever buy a device with no memory expansion and limited space on the phone itself. I have no use for the cloud in that manner.

If you are on "open" public wifi on your device you are indeed vulnerable at all times.

As far as paying full retail for the device.....well I can get a "new" device for less than an upgrade. $700 for the Note 3 but will sell my Note 2 with accessories for at least $450. $700-$450=$250 Upgrade price is $299.00 plus $30 upgrade fee. So in essence I get the new device for less than an upgrade anyway.
Search tags for this page

unlimited data tablet

verizon grandfather unlimited data

verizon upgrade friction profit