Amazon Prime's Price is Getting a Bump to $99 Starting Next Week

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-prime-benefits.png

Not too long ago we posted some rumors suggesting that Amazon would increase its Prime pricing. The speculation at that time was that it might go up to as high as $129.99 per year. The price bump is no longer a rumor and is about to take place next week, but luckily, it won't be quite that high. Amazon Prime's new price will go from $79.99 to $99.99 for the year. Students with an Amazon Prime account will see a smaller increase (although it remains proportional). Their accounts go from $39.99 to $49.99 per year.

The new pricing will go into effect immediately for new customers starting some time next week (actual date is unspecified at the time of this report). For existing customers, you will simply be charged the new higher price the next time your renewal comes due. The new price amounts to $8.33 per month if you do the math breakdown. This means that Amazon Prime is now about the same price as Netflix. Of course, you get quite a bit more than just movie and TV rentals with Amazon Prime. Here's a quick breakdown of just a few of the benefits:
  • Monthly Kindle book rentals
  • Free 2-day shipping for all Prime orders
  • $3.99 overnight shipping (per item) for all Prime orders
  • Unlimited Prime instant video streaming - plus access to digital HD rentals of new releases with prices ranging from $3.99 to $5.99 for a rental
Overall, it's actually pretty impressive that we haven't seen a price increase from Amazon before now. Amazon Prime has been available for 9 years now without any price increases. That's a pretty impressive track record.

Source: Amazon

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I just signed up for a 30 day trial that says it will charge me 79 in 30 days. my wife's prime just expired and I may activate it on my account if I can get it for 79 still. we don't order nearly as much from amazon as we have in the past couple of years (small home based business that we closed) so I don't know.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Time for me to bail on Amazon.
The shipping is nice but Netflix has a lot more to watch and at this new price, Netflix will actually be $3.00 cheaper.
Again since I only have Amazon for watching shows. I was fine dealing with much less content for the cheaper price. But for the same price? Methinks it's time to bail. My price is good until October as I was just informed by Amazon. So unless content really gets ramped up, I will bail.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I only use prime for shipping. $100 is still very reasonable.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I share my Prime membership with 2 other family members so we split the fee. ;)

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Time for me to bail on Amazon.
The shipping is nice but Netflix has a lot more to watch and at this new price, Netflix will actually be $3.00 cheaper.
Again since I only have Amazon for watching shows. I was fine dealing with much less content for the cheaper price. But for the same price? Methinks it's time to bail. My price is good until October as I was just informed by Amazon. So unless content really gets ramped up, I will bail.

I personally saved over $300 in shipping from buying tons of my home product from amazon, saving money on the product AND not paying shipping. $99 a year is still a killer deal.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Amazon prime for me is mainly for shipping as I really do not care about the movies since amazon seems to buffer a lot and do not work with chrome. So if make a lot of purchases on Amazon then it is worth it. I can say I average one shipment a month from amazon. So for me I am willing to pay the extra because what it saves me in shipping.

R

RETG

Might want to take a closer look at some of Amazon's prime pricing. In many cases the same item is offered for less and even adding shipping keeps it less than prime. And I'm not the only one that has been noticing this. Amazon is being sued for adding shipping to the price of the item to cover for free prime shipping.
Lawsuit claims Amazon Prime hikes prices to make up for 'free shipping' | Mail Online
Amazon.com Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over Alleged Circumvention Of Internet Explorer Web Browser Privacy Settings & Alleged Collection Of Personal Information | Class Action Lawsuits In The News

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Might want to take a closer look at some of Amazon's prime pricing. In many cases the same item is offered for less and even adding shipping keeps it less than prime. And I'm not the only one that has been noticing this. Amazon is being sued for adding shipping to the price of the item to cover for free prime shipping.
Lawsuit claims Amazon Prime hikes prices to make up for 'free shipping' | Mail Online
Amazon.com Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over Alleged Circumvention Of Internet Explorer Web Browser Privacy Settings & Alleged Collection Of Personal Information | Class Action Lawsuits In The News

Do keep in mind that's free 2 day shipping. And 2 day shipping gets expensive fast. I often look at the other items and gauge whether I want them in two days or one week and check how much more expensive the item is. More often than not prime wins.

An interesting article though

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I just checked 6 items in my cart and 4 items that I recently bought and there is no difference between the price on my computer which is signed into my Prime account vs. the price I see on my wife's phone that has never been signed in to my account. I would like to see some examples of these price differences before I just take it at face value. I place about 3 or 4 orders a month and we watch a lot of BBC, NOVA, Discovery, etc shows and I think that Prime is a bargain at even $99/year. I would have never joined before they included the shows and movies on Prime, as I was always willing to wait 8 or so days to get free shipping. However, the combination of 2 day shipping and the shows was enough for me to think that Prime is a bargain.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I share my Prime membership with 2 other family members so we split the fee. ;)

3 others for me but I pay the fee.
All seasons of Deadliest Catch, 22 episodes a season,$1.99 an episode? That alone more than paid for my first year. Add in free books, other video and a bunch of shipping and it was about 1/4 what I'd have paid without it.
Average of $5 a book x 12 months and at least 20 free ship upgrades more than paid for the second year. I didn't watch as many tv shows but did watch a whole bunch of movies for free.
My notice said mine will go up to the new fee March 14,2015. They've added a ton of new kids shows that my 6 year old likes so if she takes advantage I'll definitely be willing to pay the extra next year. If not I'll just cancel.
The email I got said shipping cost increases is the biggest reason but that they've added a lot of content to the Kindle and Video perks over the years, I guess to soften the blow to those that see rage over the increase.
There are 2 distribution centers within 10 of me so if a package comes from 1 of them it's literally overnight shipping unless I order it on a Saturday. I ordered a stylus pen once on a Sunday night and it arrived at my house Monday morning. Sweet!

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
NoteToo

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I love Prime! As someone that constantly orders from Amazon, this price increase is a minor annoyance at best. And as the OP said, I too am surprised we haven't seen a price increase earlier.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Just got an email. Today is the last day to sign up at the current price. Increase goes into effect tomorrow.

Tap'd from my LG G2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Sorry. Just not worth it to me. I get streaming from plenty of other sources and normally when I order from Amazon, the standard $3 3-5 business days suits my needs just fine.

Sent from my Eclipsed Moto X DE