Netflix CEO Warns that a Price Increase is Coming in the Future

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh you can bet the day will come that when a film is released in theatre's you'll be able to get it at home as well. Whether its Netflix or some other competitor, I'm certain those days are coming.

They already did that with that stupid movie we almost went to war over.

The Interview. :(

Yup I was one of those who wasted my money...by streaming it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
They already did that with that stupid movie we almost went to war over.

The Interview. :(

Yup I was one of those who wasted my money...by streaming it.
If memory serves me right The Interview wasn't originally set to be available as soon as it hit theatre's? Or was it?. That came after all the hoopla I thought.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If memory serves me right The Interview wasn't originally set to be available as soon as it hit theatre's? Or was it?. That came after all the hoopla I thought.
That's correct. Theaters said they wouldn't show it, so streaming & on demand services said they would.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Interview 2014 - IMDb was originally scheduled for theaters, then Sony was hacked and threatened. Sony pulled the movie, and America went crazy about freedom of speech. Because of the backlash, Sony, again, said they would show it, but only a select number of theaters said they would show it. In the end, it was pulled again, and streamed. Unfortunately, it was garbage anyway.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Over the next decade to me sounds like they are hoping to achieve like a full new release experience. If I could get all the movies as soon as they come out on DVD I'd be happy to pay $25 a month. I would be happy to pay $75 a month if they could stream movies from the theater.
Yes, popcorn too though at $75...

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It's my wife's summer entertainment when her shows are on summer break, definitely worth the price at a buck more...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Interview 2014 - IMDb was originally scheduled for theaters, then Sony was hacked and threatened. Sony pulled the movie, and America went crazy about freedom of speech. Because of the backlash, Sony, again, said they would show it, but only a select number of theaters said they would show it. In the end, it was pulled again, and streamed. Unfortunately, it was garbage anyway.

That's correct. Theaters said they wouldn't show it, so streaming & on demand services said they would.
You are all correct, the aftermath of the hoopla is what resulted in the streaming and that movie getting more views than it should.

I can see small budget movies releasing to streaming but not blockbusters. To me summer isn't summer without bbq, Summer weather, and a special effects filled movie with explosions on the big screen. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyed on an IMAX screen.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They are still being charged for the now illegal fast lanes on the internet. We will foot the bill.

Except that's BS. Netflix wanted to bypass the intermediaries like Cogent, whom they paid, and wanted Comcast to foot the bill for the connection. Now maybe that bypassed connection is illegal, but Netflix SHOULD rightfully being paying Comcast what they were paying Cogent.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Except that's BS. Netflix wanted to bypass the intermediaries like Cogent, whom they paid, and wanted Comcast to foot the bill for the connection. Now maybe that bypassed connection is illegal, but Netflix SHOULD rightfully being paying Comcast what they were paying Cogent.

Netflix was being throttled so they didn't have a choice but to pay. It's not BS. Here is a graph of their speeds after they started paying.

This hilarious graph of Netflix speeds shows the importance of net neutrality

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Netflix was being throttled so they didn't have a choice but to pay. It's not BS. Here is a graph of their speeds after they started paying.

This hilarious graph of Netflix speeds shows the importance of net neutrality

No, you have to search but there are people out there who reportedly accurately. Netflix had a bottleneck mainly with Cogent (those charts don't prove otherwise), and a few other intermediaries - across SEVERAL cable networks (which pretty much destroys the argument that Comcast and/or AT&T was throttling). This is why Netflix wanted a direct connection, but they didn't want to pay for it - they wanted to cut out the middle man and not pay for it.

Sorry, but Netflix was never about Net Neutrality other than Netflix using that argument trying to get a free ride. The Netflix/Comcast issue is really about peering agreement, which even the FCC has admitted continues to be a gray area in the Net Neutrality debate. And the problem is the Netflix traffic is really one way, so they wouldn't be entitled to a peering agreement but, more accurately, sought a premium service which they SHOULD pay for and which may, as a separate issue, be deemed unfair (but shouldn't be so long as the same service and price is offered to all content providers).