need to know

rumblee1

Reaction score
I love droid smartphones. Started with the od, then x, now bionic. Truthfully, I love my bionic. Got it on day 1 and never had major issues that didn't get corrected with an update. I'm considering the galaxy s3 because I want a better camera and moto is ignoring its customers requests for better imaging. Anyway, I've been hearing a lot about the nexus and wonder if you can tell me if it operates just like any other droid. Can I put all my apps on it? How's battery life? I heard, not so good. But what do you owners say. What would be the benefits of going to the nexus?

captdroid

Reaction score
rumblee1 said:
I love droid smartphones. Started with the od, then x, now bionic. Truthfully, I love my bionic. Got it on day 1 and never had major issues that didn't get corrected with an update. I'm considering the galaxy s3 because I want a better camera and moto is ignoring its customers requests for better imaging. Anyway, I've been hearing a lot about the nexus and wonder if you can tell me if it operates just like any other droid. Can I put all my apps on it? How's battery life? I heard, not so good. But what do you owners say. What would be the benefits of going to the nexus?

I recommend searching this forum you will find extensive discussion your interest

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It operates most closely to the OG Droid, vanilla ICS. You can transfer all your apps to is just like any other Android device you move to.

Battery life is mediocre on stock ROM. Flashing a ROM will do wonders.

Benefits:
-dev support, other phones have dev support, but nothing like for the Nexus. Just go look up some of the ROMs, so many to choose from. Did I mention JellyBean? Yeah we got JellyBean.
-Beautiful screen. I'm a "screen elitist" and the Nexus definitely has one of the best looking screens on ANY device.
-Did I mention dev support and flashing ROMs? Yeah, ROMs
-First to get new OS. Refer to my first point. Get it?:p

You love your Bionic, and I can see why, a very good device. Do you remember your OG Droid? I don't know about you, but my Nexus definitely reminds me of my first smartphone, the Droid. Vanilla Android OS, easily root, almost an endless amount of ROMs, and best of all, first go at any major update. If you're into rooting and ROMing, you'd be crazy NOT to consider a Nexus.

So I think I hit all your questions and even possibly sold you on the benefits. My next suggestion to you is to go to the store, find a friend with one, meet a stranger with one. Try it out and see if you like it. Like any phone available it has its drawbacks (battery life being one of them), but the advantages/positives far outweigh them. Get your hands on one and then make the decision to go with one or not.

Reaction score
the galaxy nexus is still verizon's best phone (i still own my bionic, but only because nobody will buy it from me) :biggrin:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

I had the exact same string of phones. Great minds! :biggrin: The Nexus with JB is reeeeally quick btw!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
david14807 said:
Please explain to me how it’s not a Droid.

Droid is the official line of verizon android devices. They have the red eye and although not as possible, the droiiidd sound.

Nexus using Droid Forums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]Please explain to me how it’s not a Droid.[/FONT]

A Droid is an Android phone...but an Android phone is not a Droid...

Droid is a crap brand of phones by Verizon. Droid used to be the best phones on the market but that's no longer the case. Most people call Android phones "Droids" which is completely incorrect. In fact the nerd within me cringes every time I hear someone call (insert phone here) a Droid when it's clearly not. This proves one thing - Verizon marketed the Droid brand correctly. Unfortunately, they've let the name go to crap with a series of lackluster devices. Considering the timeframe they were released, only the Moto Droid and the HTC Incredible (maybe the X as well...) lived up to their Droid naming. Anyway, nerd-rage done.

The Galaxy Nexus is a pure Google Android handset.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

I went off on a tangent - I meant to actually answer your question. For starters, I've had my Galaxy Nexus since launch day last December. I also bought my wife a Galaxy S3 and she got it on launch day a few weeks ago.

Keeping that in mind, these are two drastically different devices for different reasons. Are you planning on keeping it stock? Are you planning on rooting it?

Without a doubt, if you plan to root or do anything related to that, the Nexus is the only choice here. I cannot and will not ever recommend the Verizon GS3 because the future of it is so uncertain with the locked bootloader.

If you're going to keep it stock and just want the best all around device, then the GS3 is the best choice. Hands down, it has the best hardware on Verizon. Best processor, best camera, best screen and best battery life (besides the Maxx, but that doesn't count). I can speak from first hand experience - I've played with my wife's phone quite a bit and the entire package is very impressive. Battery life is phenomenal, performance is incredibly smooth and the Touchwiz interface is a decent representation of stock ICS. The camera flat-out embarrasses my Nexus :(

Keep in mind I'm a huge fan of the Nexus - the GS3 is the only device I would recommend over the Nexus...at this point.