Nexus vs Bionic: Should I Make The Switch?

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Mike - have you checked swappa.com for the Gnex? They have quite a few for sale right now...

Thanks for the resource jntdroid! I never heard of them before so I will keep an eye on them. However starting price is $390...ebay they are going for $300-$350....but it's harder to win one...I'll keep swappa in mind though!

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
WOO HOO! I just got a Nexus from eBay for $325 including 2 cases & the usual accessories! It is rooted running Liquid ICS (I'm not familiar with Nexus ROMS yet)...one minor blemish but small. Screen is clean. Now when it arrives do I just take the sim card from my Bionic & transfer it over or do I need to take it to Verizon (or call) to transfer my number to the nexus? Also, how do I get my Bionic ready for resale? I'm assuming it will have a clean ESN if I am using it now correct? Is it best to leave it rooted or should I just factory reset to complete stock & let the new owner decide?

I'm so pumped to finally get the Nexus! I love the Bionic and actually feel bad for it...LOL! It has bad parents (Motorola!) LOL!!!!

msengul

Reaction score
Ok what is fcc's website???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JRParsons

Reaction score
WOO HOO! I just got a Nexus from eBay for $325 including 2 cases & the usual accessories! It is rooted running Liquid ICS (I'm not familiar with Nexus ROMS yet)...one minor blemish but small. Screen is clean. Now when it arrives do I just take the sim card from my Bionic & transfer it over or do I need to take it to Verizon (or call) to transfer my number to the nexus? Also, how do I get my Bionic ready for resale? I'm assuming it will have a clean ESN if I am using it now correct? Is it best to leave it rooted or should I just factory reset to complete stock & let the new owner decide?

I'm so pumped to finally get the Nexus! I love the Bionic and actually feel bad for it...LOL! It has bad parents (Motorola!) LOL!!!!

Did the seller give you the ESN to check it out with Verizon. EBay is where people sell there phones when they owe money to Verizon, if the seller owes them money or the phone has a bad ESN for some other reason, Verizon will not activate it. Good friend of mine got burnt, filed a complaint with both eBay and PayPal. Both said he was correct and the seller owed him a refund, but he was never able to collect.

If the sim cards are the same size you can just switch them and the phone should activate on its own. If they are different sizes you'll have to run to a corporate store and pick up a new sim.
Hope all works out, I think your gonna like the gnex over the Bionic.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Did the seller give you the ESN to check it out with Verizon. EBay is where people sell there phones when they owe money to Verizon, if the seller owes them money or the phone has a bad ESN for some other reason, Verizon will not activate it. Good friend of mine got burnt, filed a complaint with both eBay and PayPal. Both said he was correct and the seller owed him a refund, but he was never able to collect.

If the sim cards are the same size you can just switch them and the phone should activate on its own. If they are different sizes you'll have to run to a corporate store and pick up a new sim.
Hope all works out, I think your gonna like the gnex over the Bionic.

I just sent her an email asking for the ESN. The auction DID state a clean ESN plus I emailed her before the auction ended asking about it. She's currently using the phone so I'm sure it's fine. She seems legit but I do have the eBay Buyer Protection...plus I believe Paypal actually refunds the money directly from the users account. If there's no money in the account (or attached bank account) they go after them. I asked her to add insurance to the postage & she's doing it at no extra cost to me (I offered to pay for it since it was free shipping). I'm sure it's fine but you did plant the seed in the back of my head! LOL

JRParsons

Reaction score
I'm sure it's fine most people are honest. With my buddy, PayPal said he was correct, but I guess there was no money in the account.
Verizon said they would activate it if he paid $xxx.xx, the amount the dude owed.
He ended up out about $200.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Well she sent me the MEID number so I called VZN on it & they said it is currently activated which she said it was. (She's deactivating it tomorrow afternoon) the guy said all he is allowed to say whether it is active or inactive. He's not allowed to give any other info....so I am assuming since she still has service the ESN is clean correct. On a side note...he also said I just take the sim card out of my Bionic & stick it in the Nexus & it will automatically activate the Nexus & deactivate the Bionic....simple! (I hope!!!) Sorry for all the questions! I', just excited to get a great deal on the phone! She's shipping it Thursday so coming from Mass to Western NY it just might get here Saturday...Monday at the latest!

JRParsons

Reaction score
Unfortunately I just did a quick Google search , and from what I saw, the Bionic uses a full size sim and the Gnex uses a micro sim. Your going to have to run to a corporate store when you get it. They will give you the new sim and activate it for you. I just had the same issue switching from a Stratosphere to a Thunderbolt. Verizon said to just switch the sim cards but they were different sizes.
The store activated it for me in about 5 minutes.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
First they release the Bionic 6 months later than projected which put it with the NEXT release of phones on the market...Nexus being one of them.

I swear I should make a thread about this and ask that it be stickied.

The Motorola XT875 Bionic as we know it is NOT the phone that was supposed to be released. That phone was the Motorola XT865 "Etna", and was based on a nVidia Tegra2 SoC with 512MB of RAM. That phone never did come out, it had some sort of hardware issues that couldn't be fixed and it was scrapped. Our Bionic is the XT875 "Targa", which is based on a faster TI OMAP 4430 SoC, with 1GB of RAM. This phone was the first release in the family that includes the Razr/Razr Maxx. It came out when intended, it's name was simply recycled from the scrapped phone. Perhaps this is an unfortunate thing for the Bionic, as it does indeed make it look like it was released 6 months late. They should have chosen a new name, even "Targa" would have been good.

Here, take a quick read:

Motorola DROID BIONIC Etna specs

Last edited:
OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Unfortunately I just did a quick Google search , and from what I saw, the Bionic uses a full size sim and the Gnex uses a micro sim. Your going to have to run to a corporate store when you get it. They will give you the new sim and activate it for you. I just had the same issue switching from a Stratosphere to a Thunderbolt. Verizon said to just switch the sim cards but they were different sizes.
The store activated it for me in about 5 minutes.

The 3rd post here confirms what you said: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussions/199286-good-bye-moto.html I will need to get a new Sim card. But they won't say anything about the phone not being stock will they? I won't be able to change roms until I get it activated (Unless I use wifi)...Plus it WON'T be a contract phone so they SHOULDN'T be able to say anything right?

Reaction score
i'm actually filing another complaint with the FCC against verizon here soon as they refuse to compensate me for the daily LTE interruptions. in fact, i'm having one right now :mad:

the fed gov is good for something after all :D

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
i'm actually filing another complaint with the FCC against verizon here soon as they refuse to compensate me for the daily LTE interruptions. in fact, i'm having one right now :mad:

You watch...now that I just bought this Nexus, Verizon will call me about the complaint & offer me a NEw one! LOL.....Hey then I just sell the used one I just got! HAHAHA!

JRParsons

Reaction score
The 3rd post here confirms what you said: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussions/199286-good-bye-moto.html I will need to get a new Sim card. But they won't say anything about the phone not being stock will they? I won't be able to change roms until I get it activated (Unless I use wifi)...Plus it WON'T be a contract phone so they SHOULDN'T be able to say anything right?

I brought my Thunderbolt in rooted, the kid either didn't notice or didn't say anything. If you want, tell them your in a rush and you'll activate it yourself. If it comes up I'd just play stupid, "what's rooted mean", "I just bought this off of eBay", etc. Etc.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

The Gov will know not to mess with GalaxyFlatulence!