Need help with alltel milestone rooting. (If even possible)

hoppermi

Reaction score
You cannot put a Droid ROM on a Milestone. They're too different. However...

CyanogenMod 6.1.0 RC4 for Milestone | android.doshaska.net

If you read the thread I just posted you will see that the alltel milestone is just a cdma Droid, not the GSM version w/ locked bootloader
so what exactly does that mean?

So that means you should be able to root easily and load BB 0.5 or any other ROM for the droid. Just don't mess with the baseband(radio file).
Try z4root like FBM suggested. then download Rom Manager, flash clockwork recovery, make a backup, and start having fun.
If you can't find instructions for something PM me and I'll try and help.

OP
N

nevilos

Reaction score
If you read the thread I just posted you will see that the alltel milestone is just a cdma Droid, not the GSM version w/ locked bootloader
so what exactly does that mean?

So that means you should be able to root easily and load BB 0.5 or any other ROM for the droid. Just don't mess with the baseband(radio file).
Try z4root like FBM suggested. then download Rom Manager, flash clockwork recovery, make a backup, and start having fun.
If you can't find instructions for something PM me and I'll try and help.
Man... your gonna get hella tired of me. I'm VERY appreciative for the both of your help. Do you think you could give me specific detailed instructions step by step (I'm a noob) and exactly which programs/files to use? I've read others "how to" posts but they say "use this program... or this one, or this one," and I just got to the point that I don't know what to do.

hoppermi

Reaction score
Start by downloading z4root from the market right to your phone. Use it to root your phone. It should be easy, like one click easy. Then download rom manager from market and open, press yes when it asks for root access. Then press flash clockwork recovery. Next press backup current Rom. Should take 10 min. Now you are ready to install roms.
Hit me up on gtalk [email protected] if you get stuck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

It says it's available in the market. If not, get it from there. Install it. Run it. You are now rooted.

As for installing the ROM, I hesitate to tell you how to see about getting one running because the latest Droid baseband is included in all of them AFAIK. I'd also STRONGLY suggest that you read up on BB v.5 and the installation procedure because it seems to be very tricky, especially for new users.

OP
N

nevilos

Reaction score
Thanks to great efforts and help from Furbearingmammal and hoppermi my alltel milestone a854 is now ROOTED!!!!!!! Im now running 2.2 Froyo and its pretty sweet. For those with similar situations. I installed Z4root straight from the market and rooted it. (one click) Then downloaded Rom manager after.... flashed it and performed a back up. After i tried to install http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/95307-ota-rom-odexed-deodexed-frg22d.html. I used the odexed version (for now!) and rom manager rebooted the phone... and it just came up to normal 2.1 still. I simply reflashed it again. Turned it off. Opened recovery (hold x while powering up phone) wiped data and cache and installed the ROM above with no probs. All data/mms/voice works perfectly! MUCH thanks goes to Hoppermi who went way out of his way to help me almost 1 and 1/2 days. (not to undermind Furbearingmammal which suggested z4root)

Just a notery. when i rooted the milestone it classified my phone as a droid, not a milestone.

OP
N

nevilos

Reaction score
I'm now interested in using deodexed so i can put a theme on my phone.... Any suggestions on that from anyone?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You could try to use metamorph in the market to get it to work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Look for themes specific to your ROM and go from there. Good luck! :)

OP
N

nevilos

Reaction score
keep in mind im still a noob so plz forgive the endless barrage of questions... but do u know what exactly the name of my rom i link above is so i can look for themes for it? Also i backed up the default rom while i was rooting and all.... can i back this one up aswell and have more than 1 back in the nandriod folder?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You'd need a theme for an odexed stock ROM and I don't think there are any. You'd probably have to install the deodexed stock ROM to get themes on it, but don't lose heart because there ARE themes for the stock ROM.

928Droid Themes for the Droid 1

As you can see, he never finished his odexed stock build.

And yes, all the backups are saved under different date codes, so you can put as many on your SD card as you care to.

OP
N

nevilos

Reaction score
i do intend on putting the deodexed version on to get themes... jus have to look and see if there any "how to" guides on that aswell.

OP
N

nevilos

Reaction score
i went to you link you posted above and was wondering... are there any screenshots or pictures to see the theme before installing?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you want to deodex it yourself there is a guide. If you want to save yourself some problems and want to just flash a deodexed ROM on instead, you do it the same way you installed the odexed ROM you just put on.