Need help un-rooting X2

melnickmarc

Reaction score
I wanted to unroot because it's blocking me from downloading Gingerbread. That and I only rooted to hack a few games, which I've done and become bored with. I no longer have any reason for the root and just want to go to the normal version of Gingerbread.

When I rooted my phone I read that I could just do a factory reset to unroot it. And that's just what I did. But after I did the reset I saw that the superuser app was still there and it won't let me delete it. I reinstalled gingerbreak on my phone and ran it, but it's greyed out where it says "UnRoot device".

What can I do to remove the superuser app and get on with downloading Gingerbread?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What version of android you are on. Because to unroot we will need to sbf.

OP
M

melnickmarc

Reaction score
If you are not running a custom recovery you should be able to use this ROOT/UNROOT Droid Bionic

That looks like a root and un root tool. Will it still un root me if I didn't root with that program?

I've read about a SBF, but a lot of it was over my head. I'm sure I could figure it out with a good tutorial though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes..................

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But if you have the bootstrap app it disrupts the program so you will have to sbf.

OP
M

melnickmarc

Reaction score
But if you have the bootstrap app it disrupts the program so you will have to sbf.

No, I never downloaded a bootstrap app. It's just the superuser app giving me trouble. I don't ahve my USB cable with me at work right now. I'll give the droid bionic thing a chance tomorrow. I've never ran a program between my computer and phone before though. Do I need anything special to do that?

I'm guessing I just download that app (to the computer right?) then connect the phone via USB and run the program on the computer???

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
everything you need is in that program and site i linked.

OP
M

melnickmarc

Reaction score
OK, thanks for all your help!!

I finally found some time to try all of your suggestions. I ran the Droid Bionic program and it said that it unrooted successfully. But the Superuser app was still sitting on my phone. So I thought that maybe if I used that program to root then run the unroot part again it might make a difference. So I tried to re-root with the Droid Bionic and got this error message. "ERROR: we have root, but couldn't push su. Try un-rooting first then running root.".

Then I just tried to un-root again and got the same thing. It said it worked, but the superuser app was still there.

I also tried to get the newer version of gengerbreak that you linked, but it won't download to my phone. It just says "download unsuccessful".

So I guess that just leaves me with the option of a SBF right?

Is there a tutorial that will walk me through what I need to do?