need help please

allmann1

Reaction score
Im wanting to buy the droid, but i want to use it also as a mobile modem for my laptop. Is this possible and how? my buddy uses tetherberry for his blackberry and it runs flawlessly. is there an app for the droid that would let me do the same? thanks in advance

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
welcome to the site!

yes I know of two - pdanet for unrooted(stock) phones or Wifi tether for rooted (like administrator permissions) phones. Im an avid user of the tether

deubster

Reaction score
It's definitely possible. See one of the many threads on rooting your Droid. After rooting, you use PDAnet or similar programs.

It also violates your VZW agreement. You are unlikely to be caught if you don't go hog wild on downloading while tethering. Also, if your phone develops problems, be sure you know how to revert back to the original configuration before asking VZW for help.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
OP
A

allmann1

Reaction score
im just looking to use the internet while im working to surf the net. thats basicly it. nothing too crazy.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
im just looking to use the internet while im working to surf the net. thats basicly it. nothing too crazy.

Assuming your employer insists you actually devote some time to your job, you should be fine with pdanet. If you're planning to watch movies all day while you're "working," you may find yourself in trouble with Verizon.

OP
A

allmann1

Reaction score
i work for the goverment its cool, but really which one is easier to use and better overall?

gnmitchell

Reaction score
If you buy PDANet it will do the same thing as the wifi tether. If you use the free PDA you won't be able to view secure sites.
I noticed no difference in speed between the free PDA and wifi tether.

OP
A

allmann1

Reaction score
prob a stupid question but im a tech idiot. doesnt the wifi mean it needs a wireless signal to work? so basicly its piggy backing off another wireless router. like i could already do w/ my laptop?