Internet and Connecting at Home?

spower

Reaction score
Hi All,

New here. I have an unusual situation, hope somebody here can help. I am moving to a very rural area. The only internet solutions out there are Satellite or Aircard, both expensive.

I want to buy the Motorola Droid but can't really afford the extra $29 a month for data Verizon wants UNLESS......

Is there some way I can use my Droid for my internet connection at home on my laptop/desktop other then using it as a modem? Maybe with a router or something?

Is there a way to use it at home with my other computers and still be able to use the phone?

I really hope there is a solution for me using the Droid, $29 for unlimited data would be much more affordable then Satellite or Aircard.
Thanks in advance for your help!
SPower

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New here. I have an unusual situation, hope somebody here can help. I am moving to a very rural area. The only internet solutions out there are Satellite or Aircard, both expensive.

I want to buy the Motorola Droid but can't really afford the extra $29 a month for data Verizon wants UNLESS......

Is there some way I can use my Droid for my internet connection at home on my laptop/desktop other then using it as a modem? Maybe with a router or something?

Is there a way to use it at home with my other computers and still be able to use the phone?

I really hope there is a solution for me using the Droid, $29 for unlimited data would be much more affordable then Satellite or Aircard.
Thanks in advance for your help!
SPower

Sorry, but you cannot even purchase a Droid from Verizon without having a Data package. It's a must have. Here's the sticky from the top of the General Discussion page: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/58-data-plan-required-answer-yes.html

R1Lover

Reaction score
To answer your question, yes you can use the droid to get internet on a laptop or pc, it's called tethering... but it's not legal per verizon and it will also drop the connection when the phone rings so it's not really a good solution.

Newton122189

Reaction score
Obviously you didn't even read what he wrote, he wants to use his Droid as a modem and the answer is yes you can use it as a modem, if you root the phone you can apply ChevyNo1's one click solution which will allow your phone to emit a wifi signal that your computer can use, there is also something called PDAnet which doesn't require root but is also wired instead of wireless

Edit: beat me too it, I was on my droid, took a while to type all that

OP
spower

spower

Reaction score
To answer your question, yes you can use the droid to get internet on a laptop or pc, it's called tethering... but it's not legal per verizon and it will also drop the connection when the phone rings so it's not really a good solution.

Hmm, hoping there is another solution, thanks

OP
spower

spower

Reaction score
This sounds like something I am looking for, where can I find it?

ChevyNo1's one click solution which will allow your phone to emit a wifi signal that your computer can use

With this could I then use the Verizon MiFi (is there another charge to use this?) and run a few computers off the Droid?
Also, could I still use the phone as a phone while doing this if needed?

drewshaver

Reaction score
tethering is def what you are looking for. check out the hacks forum, there are probably like 10 active threads on tethering.

no, you will not be able to use standard phone service while using data. more accurately, when you get a call your data will stop transmitting.

you have to be careful though, this sort of tethering is not approved by vz. certain internet traffic that comes out of your pc might be obvious that it is not from a phone (e.g. torrent), and if you are connecting multiple computers to the 3g, it may be even more obvious to vz that you are tethering.

drewshaver

Reaction score
oh, but if you use a voip like fring, or nimbuzz, or skype from your comp, you will be able to be on the phone and still get data.

OP
spower

spower

Reaction score
So still wondering if anybody has done this?
ChevyNo1's one click solution which will allow your phone to emit a wifi signal that your computer can use

Has anybody used their laptop off the wifi signal that is emitted from ChevyNo1's solution?

drewshaver

Reaction score
So still wondering if anybody has done this?

Has anybody used their laptop off the wifi signal that is emitted from ChevyNo1's solution?

go post in the threads in the hacks forum.