Droid2 and home internet access

sepi

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to use cancel my cable internet subscription and instead use my Droid2's internet access as a wireless hot spot and connect my home pc's? If yes how? I would appreciate it if you could assist me.
Trying to downsize.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Possible but would be painfully slow IMHO.

OP
S

sepi

Reaction score
I think I found my answer:
......in addition to requiring a data plan for your smartphone (starting at $29.99), as with AT&T you also need to have a separate plan (from $15-30/month) for your laptop to be tethered ... and the data on this additional plan is metered (up to 5 GB of data usage allowed per month; after that, data is charged on a per MB basis).
I guess it was worth a shot! :-(

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
there are other ways around this like rooting and using wifi tether but the legality issue on that is up for debate.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
there are other ways around this like rooting and using wifi tether but the legality issue on that is up for debate.

There's nothing illegal about it. It's just a breach of contract, and if Verizon finds out, they can charge you for the data used in this way and/or terminate your service with them.

lizard

Reaction score
Its not criminal, but the way Verizon wants to charge people extra for hot spotting their own property ought to be. As far as I know their has not been a single arrest or prosecution for tethering, and I think if it were a crime, as many people have committed it, there would be some action taken by now. That in my mind is all the proof I need.