Need a recommendation on a good stable ROM

blix

Reaction score
Sorry for making a new thread, but I've been 'rooting' (haha) through the forum for hours now and I'm no closer at finding out which ROM I should go to. I rooted my phone months ago and manually installed stock 2.2 (I just wanted WiFi hotspot capability) but my phone is running like molasses and I can't take it anymore. I don't game, so I don't care about that and I am not concerned with the ability to overclock. I just want my my apps to load, ANY app to load, quicker than my current 3 to 10 seconds. And I wouldn't mind a nice new pretty interface.

Honestly, I don't even remember what I used to root it. All I remember is that I needed to give Barnacle superuser access. The kernel version listed is 2.6.32.9-g874c292 build apa26#1 whatever all that means. Thanks!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are really going to have to try a few.

You like pretty stuff? Or stock no frills stuff?

This post could be 3 pages long. You can see in my sig who I promote, but you will have to figure it out yourself.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
I would prefer not to have to wipe my phone, is that possible? I did just install titanium backup though, which I will do before change anything.

Sure, pretty things are nice, as long as they don't slow anything down noticeably. Wanna point me in the direction a the first few to try, based on stability and popularity?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stability and popularity don't necessarily go hand in hand lol.

You can try the old standby of MetiCkMod, in MetiCkOne section.
You can try Gimp Source.
UD, PE, SS...

Always wipe. ALWAYS.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You are really going to have to try a few.
Bingo. What's stable on one device may not be on the next. As always, it boils down to test driving.

I would prefer not to have to wipe my phone, is that possible?
It's possible but your odds of being stable are significantly improved with wiping.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Being a big UD fan, I would recommend UltimateDroid 2.5. That ROM version was very popular because of its stability. It was very stable and fast on my phone as well.

However, after flashing UD 2.5, I would also recommend that you make a backup and try out several other ROMs. The only way you are going to find out which ROM you like is by trying them all.

And yes, make a Titanium backup and ABSOLUTELY wipe prior to install. That way you can start fresh with the ROM, the way it's intended to be.

Play a jam!

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
Will Titanium backup fully restore all of my installed apps or will I have to go through and do it myself? (this is why I didn't want to wipe)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can do an automated restore with the paid version.

How many apps do you have? Swapping ROMs barely bothers me anymore

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
I use around 25. Not huge, but it would be nice to be able to restore a backup without having to go back and install all of my old apps.

So we've got:
MetiCkmod
Gimp Source
Ultimate Droid 2.5

I'll get the paid version of Titanium Backup and make sure to wipe before I try any of these.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that's a good start. We are all here to help.

Btw, flash ROMs on a full battery.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
You don't NEED the premium version of titanium backup to restore all your apps. I let the market restore my apps through my google account, then I just do a batch restore of all the data with titanium.

But I would say you have a good start too. Give them a try and let us know what you come up with. Good luck!

Play a jam!

geoff5093

Reaction score
I was running MIUI-1.3.11 on my Droid before trading it for a Thunderbolt, the best ROM I've used so far. It looks the best (IMO), and had the best battery life out of all the others I tried.

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
btw, does your thunderbolt transmit FM?

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I have yet to find a stable rom besides droid mod.

Droid mod is very old and not good looking.

I have tried over a dozen other roms and none worked properly.

Cyanogen and g10 came the closest but caused signal and data problems wouldn't get calls.

Chevy is suppose tto be great but my phone can't run it.

Id love to find a stock rom.

I'm giving up on custom roms

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App