Navigation

BrandyR

Reaction score
Hey every one I purchased my nexus about three days ago and must say I luv it. Coming from a Dinc2 which I really liked. I do have a couple of questions I hope some one can help me with. I am generally always on wifi so I have not noticed any signal issues, but today I was using Google maps for navigation and GPS just keeped searching. Is this an issue with my phone or my signal. Should I turn off my 4g and leave it on 3g. I never had a signal issue with my dinc2 and it was 3 g. My other question was has anyone noticed the keyboard lagging when the phone is in landscape mode? I used to use swype but didn't see it in market any suggestions would be great. Thanks,
Brandy
Just wanted to add that when my 4g went out I was in a relatively large city that has 4g.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Hey every one I purchased my nexus about three days ago and must say I luv it. Coming from a Dinc2 which I really liked. I do have a couple of questions I hope some one can help me with. I am generally always on wifi so I have not noticed any signal issues, but today I was using Google maps for navigation and GPS just keeped searching. Is this an issue with my phone or my signal. Should I turn off my 4g and leave it on 3g. I never had a signal issue with my dinc2 and it was 3 g. My other question was has anyone noticed the keyboard lagging when the phone is in landscape mode? I used to use swype but didn't see it in market any suggestions would be great. Thanks,
Brandy
Just wanted to add that when my 4g went out I was in a relatively large city that has 4g.

Not sure about your signal issue, but if you are in a border line 4g area it can take a bit to switch back and forth from 3g and 4g

As for Swype, there is a hacked version you can load, i'm typing on it now. There is supposed to be a official update coming from Swype soon though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're in the city with huge skyline building finding a GPS can be difficult, I experienced this in SF yesterday. Other than that it's pretty quick to lock on to a GPS.

The signal on the Nexus has been known to be quite iffy. Some of us have awesome signal and some of us have severe signal issues. It's more of a known issue, but I guess I'm lucky enough to have a strong signal.

Keyboard lag in landscape mode is unfortunately normal. What you can do is go to your settings and turn off predictive text or something like that, I've heard that helps alot. It's a bug which will hopefully be fixed in the update.

OP
B

BrandyR

Reaction score
So if I turn 4g off and just use 3 am I less likely to have this issue.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Turning off 4G will not affect your GPS signal if you are in a city with large buildings. It may help with the data signal if you are in a borderline 3G/4G area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
B

BrandyR

Reaction score
OK thank you. I'm not sure what the issue is I just never lost signal with my dinc2 using navigation so that's why I was wondering if turning 4g off would help.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the keyboard lag issue specific to landscape mode or a bug in the Spell correction feature on the Nexus? In order to get better performance, you should turn that feature off.
Settings>Language & input> and uncheck the box for “Spelling correction"

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK thank you. I'm not sure what the issue is I just never lost signal with my dinc2 using navigation so that's why I was wondering if turning 4g off would help.

Nope, two completely different radios being used.

prowler85

Reaction score
and if you'd like the hacked version of swype, pm me your email address and I'll send it along. Couldn't live without it myself.

WookieClaws

Reaction score

prowler85

Reaction score
Someone here linked me to it (it might have been you!) and I've been very grateful to have Swype again! I just saw on Android Central that Swype is prepping a release that's compatible to ICS (Swype promises it's almost ready for Ice Cream Sandwich | Android Central). Not sure what else is coming with the release though.

Yeah, might have been me. I posted the original thread to the link. I researched when I got my Nexus, and they did say (hopefully) sometime in Feb. Just couldn't stand waiting the two months for it to be released, so was excited when I found the hacked version. If they open it up I'll definitely get the released version, though have had zero problems with the hacked one.