myLock in Market! Skip the Lock Screen!

petjakob

Reaction score
Dear loyal users:

any of you out there that might be putting up with occasional bugs, make sure to go download Log Collector so you can email me a real bug log next time the issue happens. I would really appreciate it.

RE: Wersnt below:

That happens because of a behavior handcent is doing. I identified this last week by running log collector. It impacts both the first version and the complete beta preview. Handcent is starting some kind of lengthy thread, perhaps an update check? I'm not sure what-- at the screen off event. This prevents myLock from getting the screen off it relies on to run its functionality. I've sent a comment to the handcent dev stating they have a lengthy thread and am sending them the log I used to determine this.

Screenmode just works because it is running a system setting change that's undocumented, which ends up stopping the system from ever running the keyguard. This is vulnerable to break at any time with further android updates. The method became obsolete with android 2.0 which allows any app window to do the same thing.

It sounds like you're going to want advanced mode where only the lockscreen comes up with certain keys (you could set it up so volume are the guarded keys) but it will unlock with other keys (pwr, cam in your preference). You could even have it so screen stays off from volume presses with advanced power save settings I am working on.

I contacted another dev about their program, Keyguard Disabler, which is an exact duplicate of what screenmode is doing, and it looks like he will have a simple button customization up and running soon to hopefully be a better fit for you. That's your replacement for screenmode that actually is still in development.

Last edited:

wernst

Reaction score
This is weird.

I like the interface and setup of myLock quite a bit, and despite setting Handcent SMS's popup window the way described in the first post of this thread, I find that I still occasionally get the Droid's Lock Screen randomly, maybe 10% or 20% of the time. I don't see any error message or anything, and the next power-on after getting the Lock Screen things generally work as intended, but still.

Screen Mode, on the other hand, despite it looking crude, works flawlessly every time. I mean, I didn't change anything else in the system in terms of settings or notifications, but Screen Mode just works. I love how I can use the Camera button to turn it on, dislike how the volume buttons also turn it on (I frequently accidentally hit the volume button when removing the Droid from my belt holster), and I wish there were some configuration settings or even any development of it (it seems to have stalled out), but there's no denying that it just works for me.

Just a data point. I'd still rather have the flexibility of myLock.

-Warr

wernst

Reaction score
RE: Wersnt below:

Screenmode just works because it is running a system setting change that's undocumented, which ends up stopping the system from ever running the keyguard. This is vulnerable to break at any time with further android updates. The method became obsolete with android 2.0 which allows any app window to do the same thing.

I contacted another dev about their program, Keyguard Disabler, which is an exact duplicate of what screenmode is doing, and it looks like he will have a simple button customization up and running soon to hopefully be a better fit for you. That's your replacement for screenmode that actually is still in development.

Thanks for the pointer. I assume from what you're saying that Keyguard Disabler is using the same undocumented routines as screenmode?

-Warr

petjakob

Reaction score
Yep, that's right Warr. But, I have great faith in Mike DG, I've communicated with him a little bit recently and I know his app will become a flexible lockscreen skip solution without having to be a custom or replacement lockscreen. Whereas myLock will continue to be built as a replacement lockscreen solution with integration for toggling on instant unlock via a few different methods. We'll most times be assuming there is some case in which our end-user wants to see the lockscreen or retaining some moderate guarding against pocket unlock.

Last edited:

faxman75

Reaction score
I only wanted this app for one reason. To be able to press the power button to put the screen to sleep and do the exact same thing to wake it up without ever having to slide the lock screen.

Brilliant. Love it as is but i'm one of the easier customers to please because this is the only thing I use it for and I never touch it, it works perfect.

faxman75

Reaction score
wow I jinxed myself apparently. It has randomly stopped working consistently, now it doesn't pop back on, the lock screen is back when I press the power button. I unlock and look at task killer and shows it running. I put it to sleep and unsleep again and the lock screen is back. Then i'll wait 5-10 min and press the power button again and it's working all of the sudden. Seems completely random. I have media going and headphones plugged in just like I always do. I did use the navigator for the first time today but other than that no other use was new or changed today.

edit to add that I just re read the thread from the beginning and have uninstalled and reinstalled. It seems to be working again.

Am I correct in understanding I should not have the task killer app installed on my phone if I have this app or should I just make sure that task killer doesn't kill it when I select which apps I want it to end?

Last edited:

petjakob

Reaction score
your task killer can interfere with the timing we rely on for the lockscreen disabling. essentially, there are no actual benefits of running a persistent task killer, though having one around for incidental process troubleshooting can benefit certain development scenarios. i recommend uninstalling the task killer, then gauge your total experience from there.

send me a log as well so I can see if you've got any other likely suspects causing the prob

petjakob

Reaction score
I discovered bugs in incoming call and missed call scenarios on that r2 release, thanks to those who installed and contacted me. I plan to roll that functionality out by itself as the "finalizing" update to the first market release, as Basic mode, and continue supporting it as the most minimal full-lockscreen skipping option. The guarded mode in complete version requires unlock slider or back/home exit and will not utilize instant unlock, so instant will be unique in the advanced mode lockscreen (like what's in the other test beta).

faxman75

Reaction score
your task killer can interfere with the timing we rely on for the lockscreen disabling. essentially, there are no actual benefits of running a persistent task killer, though having one around for incidental process troubleshooting can benefit certain development scenarios. i recommend uninstalling the task killer, then gauge your total experience from there.

send me a log as well so I can see if you've got any other likely suspects causing the prob

I need an e-mail address to send it too, the log is too long for PM's so let me know where to send the log.

I deleted both task killer and mylock from my phone. I re installed my lock alone and did a battery pull. Not working at all. I've toggled on and off a few times and tested and got nothing. now when i'm on a phone call the screen locks too. so I have to unlock to hang up and exit the phone.

I added task killer back to the phone and everything is working as it should again. Screen unlocks with one press of the power button, lock screen doesn't come on during phone calls and so on. I guess i'm keeping task killer for now.

I will send you a log shortly.

Last edited:

petjakob

Reaction score
Hi Shadez- Glad to hear you uninstalled. Any plans to send me a log so I might learn what kind of setup you have and study how to prevent the interference you received?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hi Shadez- Glad to hear you uninstalled. Any plans to send me a log so I might learn what kind of setup you have and study how to prevent the interference you received?

Hi, if I knew how to send a log I would lol, but its been installed 2-3 days now, dont know if that matters..

faxman75

Reaction score
edit, I got your e-mail from marketplace. Log sent. It's now stopped working again.

Last edited:

petjakob

Reaction score
the market release has definitely served its purpose, allowing me to identify the overarching causes of major malfunction and designing an acceptable approach to fixing them, while at the same time shaping the overall direction of the project toward fitting the differing preferences of all our different users.

I'm about to begin assembly of a massive update that will be the full force focus until it is done, bringing the tighter & faster overall functionality of the 2.0-optimized guarded mode with instant unlock, idle lock, guard-in-call option, and screebl pro support (allowing the screen to be protected from a long wake if the slider is bumped, which won't instant unlock). Overall, I have over 700 active users of the first market launch version, and 4.5 stars rating. So I wanted to put finishing touches for a real update, at the same time touching up features vital to the next updates in the complete version.

faxman75

Reaction score
Hey Pet, did you ever get my log/email? I sent it over the weekend. It seems at least once a day I have to reset the phone and it starts to work again. I haven't been able to pin point what's causing it to stop working but a simple on and off re activates it.

I don't have task killer any longer per your advice. I do have and use a blue tooth headset and listen to music a good 8-10 hours a day on it though.